Fresh sausage: oven or frying pan?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Fresh sausage: oven or frying pan?

Postby Yog Sothoth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi. I've just joined the forum after a couple of attempts at making sausages, with varying degrees of success. I've already learned a lot - I never knew you had to add water to sausage meat, for instance, and will probably be asking all sorts of questions. :mrgreen:

One thing; I'm interested what other people do to cook fresh sausage.

Most seem to fry them but as they tend to curl slightly, it's hard to brown them all over, which I and my wife both prefer.

I've lately been cooking them in the oven, at Gas Mark 5 for 40 minutes or so, which browns up the skins and gives a nice crispness to the outside. Reading some of the threads on here though, it seems longer and slower is better, at a lower temperature.

So how do you cook yours?
Yog Sothoth
Registered Member

Re: Fresh sausage: oven or frying pan?

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Depending on the diameter of the sausage, I preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and fry on one side for 3-6 minutes, flip the sausages and then place the skillet in a preheated 275-300 degree F oven for 10-20 minutes. I shoot for a moderate finishing temperature. They're perfect every time.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:38 pm

I generally fry but sometimes roast for 20 mins @ 180 C.
I suppose the real answer is whatever gives the result you prefer.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Yog Sothoth wrote:...it's hard to brown them all over, which I and my wife both prefer.

Welcome to the forum. :D :D

A small amount of powdered dextrose (glucose) or even sugar will help the sausage to brown.

I hope this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Yog Sothoth wrote:...I never knew you had to add water to sausage meat...how do you cook yours?

Welcome. You don't have to add water to sausage - many don't. Unless the meat is very fresh, you'll find you probably want to, though, as the meat gets drier the longer it sits before use. If you are slaughtering your own, or buying meat freshly slaughtered, you probably don't need to add extra liquid. If you are buying your meat from a supermarket, then it may be several days old and losing moisture. It's up to you. Some never add liquid.

In the world of sausages, some are intended for different preparation methods - some I fry, some I bake, some I grill over coals, some I poach, some I poach and then finish in the pan or oven, some I make into dumplings and steam or deep-fry. What's important is what YOU like.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Yog Sothoth » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:50 am

Cheers. I made up a batch on Monday, after doing some reading on here, and for the first time, they are something I'd actually be happy to buy. I used rusk, soaked the casings for a day and a half, added some water to the mix, added salt, and let the links dry overnight in the fridge, none of which I've done before, and all of which I've learned on here.
Pork, garlic and mushroom, with rosemary, baked in a medium oven until the skins crisped up. Mrs Sothoth said they were the best sausages she'd ever had, so I think I'll be doing a lot more of these! :D
I bought a sausage stuffer 3 years ago but have hardly used it after disappointing results. I sense it will now have a new lease of life.
Yog Sothoth
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques