professional salami/chorizo making courses

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

professional salami/chorizo making courses

Postby fionahg » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 am

Hello all.
I am currently making sausages, chorizo + all other porky products at home for ourselves but I am trying to start a business in spicy sausage. We raise all our pigs free range in woods and the meat is beautiful. Now is the time to share.
I desperately require some kind of formal training in the salami/chorizo making and have looked for courses in this.
The River Cottage one is just a bit too lame. I need to learn the legalities of using nitrates and cures, hanging info with regard to temperature and humidity etc.

Please can anybody help put me in the right direction, any info will be enthusiastically received.
I am based in the south but will travel.
Many thanks
Fiona :D
fionahg
Newly Registered

Re: professional salami/chorizo making courses

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi Fiona and welcome to the forum! Personally, the best course I have taken is here, with all the knowledgeable folks who contribute and run this site, they are amazing people with a real passion and knowledge for all things cured, stuffed in casings, dried, smoked, and just about everything else under the moon. I was able to build and perfect my curing chamber and create some truly amazing meats thanks to these selfless heroes that are always willing to help and advise!

With that said, it would help to know where in the world you are so we could help direct you to a local source if available. Also, if you want to browse around the forum you can check out some of the book suggestions, ones by Marianski are especially good for a deep source of knowledge and recipes related to curing - specifically "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages". Maybe those more knowledgeable can guide you towards some better books for commercial scale production. Hope you find the forum helpful, feel free to ask any questions you have, someone is always here to help guide you! ;)
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi, welcome.

These come with no knowledge of them on my part, so 'buyer beware' but there's:

http://www.poultec.co.uk/training-cours ... facturing/

and

http://www.schoolofartisanfood.org/

For starters.

HTH, please let us know how you get on.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 am

We should be running some courses next year here, when the new facilities are finished, for breaking down, charcuterie production and smoking etc. If you are still interested then, I will keep things updated as they progress.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques