Troubleshooting sausages!

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Troubleshooting sausages!

Postby purplemoose » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:37 am

Hi...

I have been making sausage for a very short time ( just a few months ) and am finding the fresh sausages are fine, but trying to make a ham sausage ring is not working well at all. The first attempt was ok, but crumbly and too salty, and this time it has come out very dry, crumbly but tastes fine...

I would be grateful for any advice on how to make a ham sausage come out moist and succulent as it is when you buy from a store, please.

Thank you,

Liz.
purplemoose
Newly Registered

Re: Troubleshooting sausages!

Postby thankswayne » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:34 am

Liz,

Not sure what your ingredients are. I've never made ham sausage, but from what I've found, it's a mixture of ground, cured ham, plus ground pork. The ham will be near 100% lean, and likely already fully cooked, so you'll need to make sure that the pork contains a little more fat to keep it from drying out. In my early days of sausage making, I tried to strive for a low fat product. Result was very dry. Just like an over grilled chicken breast, once it's dried out, here's almost no way to make it easier to chew and swallow.
thankswayne
Registered Member

Re: Troubleshooting sausages!

Postby wheels » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:04 am

Hi Liz

Welcome to the forum. :D :D :D

It will help if you post the recipe and method that you used; that way it'll be easier for members to see any problem.

We're a world-wide forum so it will help if you add details of roughly where you are so that the replies can reflect this.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Making Techniques