Mixing with water - sequence?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Mixing with water - sequence?

Postby johngaltsmotor » Fri May 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Okay, got a question:
When you have a recipe that calls for water I tend to mix it in right before stuffing so it provides as much lubrication as possible to make stuffing easier.
But is this best? Or should it be included when you're mixing to bring the mix together?
Does it have a negative effect to get it all nice and sticky, and then add the water after?
I would think that as long as you mix long enough there is no difference. So it's better to add it later so that you are sure you've mixed long enough to blend the exudate and bind the mass.

Comments?
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Re: Mixing with water - sequence?

Postby Thewitt » Fri May 23, 2014 2:17 pm

We always add it in with the spice blend to help distribute the spices evenly in the mix
Thewitt
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Fri May 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Assuming rusk-free sausage formulations in the US, and if adding water, I dissolve salt and sugar in the water, and may or may not turn it into a seasoning slurry before adding, but I always add it at the time of seasoning the meat, so it distributes the salt (and any sugar) uniformly. I find little difference in the dispersing of spices, but what does happen, if you put the spices in the water and allow it to sit for awhile before adding, some of the spices impart flavor to the water and those distribute a little better, as well. I find the spice solids tend to clump when wet, and don't see much value in that sense over scattering the spices over and in the mixture, dry. Dissolving the salt in the water also helps with the bind.

ETA: The same applies to wine or broth being added.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue May 27, 2014 2:08 pm

I've always added the salt with the cure into the cubed meat on day 0, then add everything else on day 2 after grinding.
So you add only the cure initially, and then 2 days later everything else after grinding and stuff immediately?
I'll give that a shot next time.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed May 28, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm not working with cured sausages, right now. If we're talking about cured sausage, then I'd consider salt part of the cure and add it with the cure. I'd still add the water between primary grind and secondary grind, but that's just me.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Making Techniques