Question about smoking fresh sausage

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Question about smoking fresh sausage

Postby Ed Gerrard » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:16 am

I am new to sausage making and am interested in making a bratwurst and then smoking it. I understand I need to use cure#1 in the sausage but have seen several articles that advise smoking to a temperature of 152* F. If the curing salt is there to take care of the bacteria wouldn't you want to smoke at the lowest temp possible to prevent dehydration? Why run the heat up so high?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Ed Gerrard
Registered Member

Re: Question about smoking fresh sausage

Postby johngaltsmotor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Cure #1 is for curing and short term bacteria prevention. Are you planning to eat them raw essentially?
If you are going to dry them for an extended period you need to use Cure #2.
If you are going to grill/bake them before serving then you can simply use the smoke for flavor as long as your later cooking process gets them hot enough to fully cook.

Most times when you smoke a sausage to 150F-ish it is considered ready to eat, so this is likely what was intended by the recipe.

How do you intend to serve them?
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby Ed Gerrard » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:13 pm

My intention was to make them, smoke them, freeze them and then cook them later, either by simmering in beer and finishing on the grill or just using the grill. I agree with your interpretation but in both articles they said they froze them after finishing the smoking. So the intent seems to have been to have them completely done and then save them by freezing. I would have thought it would have been better to save the cooking until you are ready to eat them......thaw them out and cook.
Ed Gerrard
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:46 pm

I can see your point. However... when smoking they are sitting in a warm environment where the bacteria multiply. Cure helps to limit this, but it does not stop them reproducing. Without getting fully cooked you are simply holding them at ideal bacteria multiplying temperatures (<140F). Then when you thaw and cook them it is an additional time at ideal temperatures.

The only time I ever cooked after smoking was hot dogs which were smoked and then immediately simmered to finish cooking, then frozen. Even in this case, they were cooked to completion immediately after smoking.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Welcome to the forum Ed. :D It is possible to cold smoke sausages, keeping below about 60F and limiting the time in the smoker. What would make everyone uneasy is the range from 80F to 140F where bacteria, even with cure #1, could multiply. I would say either cold or hot, not warm.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Ed Gerrard » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks for the answers. Your points are well taken and I will proceed accordingly. I have also thought about simmering for 30' at 170* right after stuffing and then smoking, prior to freezing.
Ed
Ed Gerrard
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques