Len Poli Dry Sausage

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Len Poli Dry Sausage

Postby ninocala61 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi all, Can anyone tell me if this sounds ok.I just made a dry sausage from Len Poli recipes. I am using F-LC culture @90% humidity And 80 Degrees temp. My concern is two-fold. First there isn't any dextrose or sugars for the culture and for the F-LC is the PH level between 5.1 to 5.3 after 24 hours. He doesn't call out a particular culture. Does this mater? Here is what I used. Along with the pork,salt, cure#2,black pepper,garlic,mace,coriander,cayenne,1/4 teaspoon F-LC culture.
ninocala61
Registered Member

Re: Len Poli Dry Sausage

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:48 am

The pH drop is right and within the right timeframe. There is some sugar in meat naturally just as we have sugar in us. It is a safer practice to add some dextrose in case the meat you are using is starting at a higher pH than normal. I like F-LC but you could try others; they each have different fermentation requirements that must be followed. You should have noticed a color and odor change as well. I think you are off to a good start. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Len Poli Dry Sausage

Postby ninocala61 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:05 pm

thanks NCPaul. I just threw out the dry sausage because the sample in the chamber was off color and the ph was high above 5.7 also I made italian slim jims. The sample for this one looks and smells right. But the ph is 5.4-5.7 after 48 hours. I used t-spx 1 teaspoon @ 75 Degrees 80% humidity. Should I leave it in for longer time. And do you think this is enough t-spx for 5lbs of meat? If the ph stays at this level can I still dry it or should I bin it? Thanks
ninocala61
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques