Help with Dry Curing

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Help with Dry Curing

Postby chefisaac » Tue May 05, 2015 1:20 pm

*I apologize for the double post*

Hello all.

I am teaching a charcuterie class right now and last week, we made pepperoni that was to be dry aged (versus smoked). I read up on it and looked at what the school had for placed to dry age. We cannot dry age in a closet of any kind and they have two wine coolers in the charcuterie room but they only go up to 55 degrees and humidity cannot be controlled. So we have our pepperoni in there now along with our duck prosciutto but I am concerned with the pepperoni because the bacteria has not bloomed yet and I cannot get up to the degree or humidity that the recipe suggests for dry aging.

I am looking for a better alternative as far as a place to dry age a product. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.
chefisaac
Registered Member

Re: Help with Dry Curing

Postby Dibbs » Wed May 06, 2015 8:17 am

Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby gsevelle » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm lucky enough to have an extra bathroom (inside-no windows) under a staircase that has a natural stone shower. I'll hang my sausage in the shower with a humidifier and depending on time of year a pan with an ice block. I can pretty much hold the temps between 70 to 75 to cure for the first three days. I'll move the meat to a freezer-less refrigerator set to hold between 42 to 45 degrees F. (I use this temp. as I have other items in there that I need to hold temp on). If I could dedicate the unit I could increase the temp to hold higher as I have it connected to a thermo-controller that will cycle the unit as necessary.
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Where are you chefisaac ? The answer/resources vary depending on where in the world you are.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Swing Swang » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:16 am

chefisaac - I just love the thought that there is a teacher out there, who is not 100% familiar with curing a new type of raw meat product, in a school setting...I see the Daily Mail having a field day if anyone gets ill...
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:37 pm

We've picked up on an old post :oops: and chefisaac has obviously got things sorted - or otherwise! :drool:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Making Techniques