Craziest question of the month

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Craziest question of the month

Postby DanMcG » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm

In another forum someone asked if they could substitute butter for pork fat. Of course everyone said no including myself, but concluded that if could develop enough of a bind maybe it would work. Butter melts at 95°f and back fat at somewhere around 104°f which isn't a whole lot of difference.
Does anyone think with enough myosin development it could coat the fat well enough to hold together. or maybe make an emulsion with butter, soy protein isolate and water and add that to the lean pork mince.
I love a good challenge but I'm not sure if I want to go through the effort without some support.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Re: Craziest question of the month

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:06 pm

The obvious question is why?

If I had to use it, I'd do a mix with soy isolate etc.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Craziest question of the month

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 am

I've seen the same question asked here with lard in place of butter. There is a structure to fat (cytoplasm) that isn't in butter or lard. This structure prevents fat smearing (which can occur even if the mixture is kept cold). I would look for an additive to help with this. I would consider "fat replacer" chemicals for this purpose. I would also note that butter brings with it 20% water which may help to dissolve the additive.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Making Techniques