More mouldy salamis

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Green mould issues

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Ok we got a tiny spot of white dry power mould on the pancetta bacon, was not a big deal we sliced off the end and all is well.

HOWEVER on the second bacon, there are trace amount of green mould right dead centre of the roll, which permeated through to the centre.

any thoughts...
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby wallie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:21 pm

Just mail me some Rick I will test it.
What the hell I am 80years old, you cannot live forever.

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby Fat Rick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:10 am

Wallie, I'm misty-eyed with gratitude at your offer to make the supreme sacrifice, but don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I sent you off to the big charcuterie in the sky. Anyway, I think that they are probably at least 6 -8 weeks off being ready as they are drying out so slowly. What I will do is wait until they are done and then have another look and give em a go if they look OK with the skin off. I do have a very irritating neighbour who may get an unexpected invitation to lunch at that time- If I'm going to go, I may as well take him with me.
Cheers to all and I'll keep you posted about any changes etc.

Rick
Fat Rick
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 am

Bigdog, white powdery mould is fine (furry is not). Is the green powdery or fluffy?. If it is more of a green stain and/or the meat smells off it doesn't sound good. Pictures may help in the diagnosis.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fat Rick » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:19 am

The salami and choritzo eventually dried out, and I tasted them yesterday. The colour and smell were ok,but the taste was not good. I only tried a tiny bit, but it tasted very musty and made my mouth sting. I should have followed Oddley's advice a few weks back and binned them there and then. The parma ham hanging in the same shed seems to have been protected by the muslin I wrapped it in so at leat I haven't lost everything. Thankyou to everyone who took the time to post replies.
Rick.
p.s. Venison sausages-try using sloe gin instead of red wine-absolutely fantastic.
Fat Rick
Registered Member

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:05 pm

I have spent months looking at different moulds, we dryed some pancetta last year and some white powder developed. Surprising on the net there was little advise, who wants the responsibility of giving poor advise here. So before I go on, If in doubt CHUCK IT, ( to In-laws ) 8)

Knowing there was good and bad mould we let it go, bad decision. We lost 40% of our project, :cry: should have been diligent and wiped it off with a acid or salt solution (lemon juice)

I remembered an old butcher who hung his personal meat for a total of 45 days, It was green in places, he claimed it was the best meat around, he would simply cut off the mould and sniff his product. He said to me that the nose knows the smell of bad meat, trust yourself, bad meat, VERY BAD SMELL.

See the photos and read more about this project on our site under FRACKIN MOULD
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Dark spots on colagen casings

Postby perciani » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 am

Hangin_Salami wrote:Rick, I have had that before(the dark spots) I used lemon juice to remove the greenish mold that formed and it revealed the same thing. I used a razor blade and cut out a few of the spots. it seemed I caught it in time because the spots were actually in the lining of the casing. I tried to scrape off the dark spot on each side and I could not remove it. So I figured it hadn't hit the meat. I searched online and couldn't find anything else like this untill I seen your picture. I figured this wasn't the "Deadly black mold" because it was green while growing and left a dark spot after washing. Anyway, I ate em, and there was nothing wrong with them. I don't want to tell you what to do, I am just sharing my experience!

Chris

Hello guys. Is anybody still alive out there?
Its been 5 years since the first post.

I just want to register my experience with the mouldy dark spots. I made my own salames with colagen casings, and they have been hunging like baby-bats for the past 3 weeks, 80% covered with a great chalky white mould (natural, not inoculated). Last weekend I noticed that some green fluffy mold circles on my stuff. My prior decision was to clean all the mould off, since I never knew that the white mould was the right mould, and now I had a deadly green sonofa.

So a prepared a jar of pure lemon juice, and used a toothbrush the clean the whole batch. Surpriselly, under the every green mould there was a terrible black spot. I freaked out. I ran to the computer and did a fast search, and the only similar case was described here.

Thank God I found the experience of Chris, and I did the same. Peeled the colagen off, and the meat was tottaly good. Ate the first half and everything was ok.

I came back to work and I found an interesting fact: if you scrape the dark stain, it just loose from the casing easily. I think it works only with artificial casings, didnt experienced natural casings.

Here are some pics of a quick scraping. Its not perfect, since my effort wasnt that big (I was so excited with the idea of not eating cancerigenous stamps). The pics:

BEFORE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AFTER
perciani
Newly Registered

Previous

Return to Sausage Making Techniques