More mouldy salamis

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

More mouldy salamis

Postby Fat Rick » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:07 pm

I've made a few salimis over the last year or so- Using Hugh F W's recipe and then dried in the shed without humidity control and results have always been excellent, however, the latest lot have got a grey fuzzy mould on them instead of the usual white powder. I understand that this is a bad thing, but not sure how bad- Is it worth cleaning with vinegar and seeing how it goes (they smell ok) or are they destined for the bin?-Also how bad can it be?- am i risking a slightly jippy tummy, or an agonising death from fuzzy mould poisoning? :?:
Fat Rick
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Hi Rick and welcome.

Have a look at this thread, particularly the photo at the end, if your mould looks like that then you should be fine,

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... nco+salami

Pictures speak a thousand words, can you post a picture of yours?

dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fat Rick » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks Dave, Ive got some pics, but as a complete Luddite, I don't know how to get them onto the reply :oops: Any chance of a few clues? Thankyou in anticipation,

Rick[/url]
Fat Rick
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Oddley has posted a useful tutorial here:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1610

as to how to do it, give it a go and see how you get on. I'll drop by later and see how you're doing :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fat Rick » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks Dave- You're a star. Hope this works. Here are 3 pics- 2 with the mould and 1of a salami that I cleaned with vinegar a few days ago. I took the skin off another one and inside was fine underneath- No mould under the casing and a good colour and smell, but it looks a bit different to the images in the link you posted above. Thanks for your time and any suggestions are very welcome
Rick[/img]
Fat Rick
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Well done! Am I right that the thinner one, second in from the right hasn't got the furry coat on it?

I've never had fur on my sausages (touch wood), so I think we should wait for some more feedback before you tuck in...

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:32 pm

I am not sure about the furry mould, but from the last image you also have spots of black mould. That is not good, the current advise, is if you have black mould then bin the ones that have this.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby rig » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi I'm new to all this and have my first few Salami's drying at the moment in a small outhouse, also following HFW receipe and nervously checking the moulds growing on them maybe too. So certainly am no expert but arn't the black spots just black peppercorns that have been used whole?
rig
Newly Registered

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:43 pm

I don't think they are peppercorns...

The downside of this hobby is that, sometimes, you have to put something in the bin that might have been perfectly edible.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fat Rick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks for that- It looks as though they are destined for the bin, but better safe than sorry.- Is there anything that I need to do to the shed before trying again in case there are any fungal spores hanging around waiting to infect the next lot?
Thankyou for your help,
Rick
Fat Rick
Registered Member

Postby Hangin_Salami » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Rick, I have had that before(the dark spots) I used lemon juice to remove the greenish mold that formed and it revealed the same thing. I used a razor blade and cut out a few of the spots. it seemed I caught it in time because the spots were actually in the lining of the casing. I tried to scrape off the dark spot on each side and I could not remove it. So I figured it hadn't hit the meat. I searched online and couldn't find anything else like this untill I seen your picture. I figured this wasn't the "Deadly black mold" because it was green while growing and left a dark spot after washing. Anyway, I ate em, and there was nothing wrong with them. I don't want to tell you what to do, I am just sharing my experience!

Chris
Hangin_Salami
Registered Member

Postby Fat Rick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks for that- I agree, it is a green mould that leaves black spots on being removed- The spots themselves can't be scraped off. I'll probably give it a little more time and see what develops as they are not nearly ready yet. I suppose an alternative would be to get tham tested in a food laboratory- Does anyone know where or how much it would cost?
Rick
Fat Rick
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:08 pm

Do you have any relatives you don't particularly like... :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Hangin_Salami » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:46 pm

mother-in-law perhaps lol. You could have it tested as I have looked into it in the past however it is pretty expensive, it would be cheaper to make a new batch. If i remember correctly, The cheapest I found was $250 to analyze the sample.

Let me know what you decide as i would be very interested in the results.

Good Luck

Chris
Hangin_Salami
Registered Member

Postby Hangin_Salami » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:51 pm

read this article, It doesn't mention the black spots but may make you feel a little more at ease.
http://www.villanovafood.com/acatalog/About_cured_meats.html
Hangin_Salami
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Making Techniques