Controlling Temperature in SMI 20 lb Smoker

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Controlling Temperature in SMI 20 lb Smoker

Postby Pat Anderson » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:01 am

A smoker question - I have had a Sausage Maker Inc. 20 smoker for 8 years, not much used. The SMI has been very difficult to control temperature with any accuracy. Turn it up too high, it pegs the thermometer. Trying to find a setting for 120 degrees F is practically impossible, the dial just does not seem to be linear or consistent, too much trial and error to hit desired temperatures. As a consequence, I have tended to use my Little Chief instead (no control needed, it is a single temp 160 degree F piece of equipment). I noticed in the video that wittdog had something that looked like a control box mounted on the door of his SMI? Anybody else have some kind of automated temperature control on the SMI smoker? I have a new Bradley Original coming anyway, but I may hang onto the SMI too if I can figure out some reasonable means of accurate temperature control...
Pat Anderson
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Pat,
Have a look a this post, maybe of use? http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?p=36328
You will have to override it on your smokehouse when getting the sawdust going.
I should guess that the new Digital Bradley comes with a form of this temperature controller.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Re: Controlling Temperature in SMI 20 lb Smoker

Postby Pat Anderson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:37 am

Old post revived! The answer is a Ranco controller! You could use a PID as well, but the Ranco costs less and is simpler to wire up and use!
Pat Anderson
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques