Salami newbie question

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Postby grisell » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Update: It's exactly one week since I stuffed them, and they seem well. However, the drying is fast. They have already lost 20% in weight. Is this a concern or is it normal? I thought that with 50 mm/2" casings the process should be much slower. I'm keeping a constant 11-13 C and 70-74% RH, but with a quite good airflow.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:52 pm

The airflow can actually increase the drying rate, have you checked them for case hardening, does the casing feel hard on the outside as compared to the centre? If so you need to cut down the airflow in some way, or increase the humidity.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 pm

No. No case hardening. Everything seems to be in order except the fast(?) drying rate.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:10 pm

My last batch of veal salami, dried very quickly to my suprise, but didn't suffer for it!

Richard
tristar
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 pm

tristar wrote:My last batch of veal salami, dried very quickly to my suprise, but didn't suffer for it!

Richard

Thanks! That makes me feel better. :) I raised the humidity to 74-78% just to be sure.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Could be that you put a lot of liquid in when making them. I used to add quite a lot of wine to my salami and this would cause similar results to yours during the first few weeks as it leeches out of the casing. nowadays I reduce the wine a little before adding it as I like the winey taste.
Just checked your recipe and it is definitely not the amount of wine that is the problem. I suspect that it is probably due to fast airflow however, you have a good covering of mould so this probably won't cause any issues as the mould will regulate the water loss to a degree.

Good luck :D

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:50 am

I didn't use wine in my last batch, just a splash of Jack Daniels. Really complemented the flavours of the salami.
tristar
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:43 pm

So, my Salami Genua has now lost 35% in weight and it was time to take a bite. Drying took only two weeks. The seasoning is just right. Delicious is almost an understatement. It is a little too soft in the middle to be really perfect (experienced observers can notice a hint of case hardening). I have reduced airflow and raised the humidity from 65-ish to 75-ish percent, so I think that in a week or so it will be perfect.

André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:55 pm

tristar wrote:I didn't use wine in my last batch, just a splash of Jack Daniels. Really complemented the flavours of the salami.

That's a little too advanced for me right now. I have to master the classical recipes first. :wink: However, it sounds really exciting. :)
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Andre that looks like a classical case of too fast a drying, leading to a slightly hard case and still a little soft in the middle. Your weight loss is fine for a Genoa.

Looks like it could go a little longer with then the old 're-hydration/equalisation in a damp cloth' routine to sort the edges out.

Lovely looking salami though :D (I grind all my fat the same at the meat for Genoa and Milano styles but it looks like you have hand cut and left it large?)

Definitely look at your airflow for next time as your temp/humidity is all cool, what rate of air change have you got set up?
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks, qwf! :D

I will first try with higher humidity and lower airflow. I have raised the humidity to about 80% now. If that doesn't give result within a couple of days I might try a cloth. The hardening is not so serious, so I am sure it can be reversed.

Yes, correct, I hand cut the fat. I can do that since I make so small batches. :wink: That was a great improvement in texture and taste. My stuffer is an electrical grinder that has some heating problems. It handled this stuffing better than if I would have ground the fat.

My air change is just a gap in the refrigerator door. I have reduced the gap now from 6 to 3 mm and also cut down the ventilation in the room where the fridge stands. It seems I underestimated the airflow this method gives. The convection is more efficient than I thought.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 pm

I agree Andre,
Your temperature and humidity seem to be spot on yet the salami had lost the desired weight after only a few weeks which would indicate to me that the airflow must be too fast. Although I still have a lot to learn about making salami, one thing that I notice is the difference in flavour between a two month old salami and one that is three months. It seems to me that after a couple of months the flavour begins to change in a very positive way. I don't know if anyone else has found this?
From what I can glean from books is that during this time certain bacteria work their "magic" while the mould on the surface breaks down more of the lactic acid leading to a higher pH and a milder, less acidic taste. Maybe someone who knows a bit more than I do could expand on this?
In short, I find there are big advantages to allowing the salami to dry and mature slowly.
Looks great though, I'm a fan of coursely ground meat and fat too.
Best of luck

Ryan :D :D
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:27 pm

The flavours certainly do change as the salami age, but like wine, I guess they can go one way or the other! Has anybody here had any that have worsened with ageing?

Richard
tristar
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:34 pm

André, take heart, I had the same thing happen when I first used my new set-up. I should have realised what was happening but didn't.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Thanks! I was thinking: Can the mould be a reason for the case hardening? This mould was fast growing and abundant, and mould of course needs water. Could the mould have "sucked" water from the periphery before the drying process had reached a certain level? Thus creating an early hardening of the surface? :?

Again, this case hardening is very slight and not a serious defect, but as Ryan pointed out, it should be beneficial for the taste if the drying takes longer.
André

grisell
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Making Techniques