Milk powder

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Postby BriCan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:02 pm

NCPaul wrote:I'll toss one more suggestion out for consideration - gelatin. This can come from reduced pork stock (to avoid beef origin) and it can be frozen to keep emulsion temperatures down.

It can have its place within certain aspects and one should not rule it out, however when making head cheese the easiest way to accommodate the binding/firmness principle is you use cooked pork rinds which in this state will stick a cat to a hot tin roof. :roll:
I liked the effect it had on some chicken sausages (from reduced chicken stock) for moisture retention. I don't believe it made the sausage "firmer" however. :D

If we use chicken skin in conjunction with chicken bones and reduce beyond what you would normally do it might work. :?:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:18 pm

wheels wrote:Robert

My post wasn't to question/criticise your methods - it was intended to support/reinforce what you said. That it has effectively done the opposite is of concern to me.

With much respect

I had honestly forgotten about your slight problems with emulsions, reading of what you had said has peeked curiosity and poses the question if I may. How do you make your emulsion, as I had said; I had a friend who made emulsion type sausage in his home for at least thirty odd years.
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Making Techniques