Alheiras?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Alheiras?

Postby MikeF » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Has anyone ever tried making this kind of sausage before? Their a Portuguese kind of smoked sausage made with bread and different kinds of meats mixed together.
I've been wanting to make them for awhile, I'm going to try them this year.
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:46 am

Hi,
I plan on making these sausages this weekend and had a question. Since the meat is cooked when making this sausage and is eaten cooked after, could I do without a cure?

Thanks!
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:14 am

If the meats are cooked before they are made into sausage, then you can still introduce pathogens during the making, from work surfaces, utensils, equipment, your hands. Because some toxins are not destroyed by heat, the fact that they are cooked before eating doesn't guarantee that toxins were not created after they were cased and before they were cooked as sausages. If I were you, I would treat them like fresh sausages - if you aren't going to eat them right away, then use some Cure #1 to be safe, or freeze them if you aren't going to eat them within about 3 days of making.

JMO, of course. YMMV.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby MikeF » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 am

vagreys wrote:If the meats are cooked before they are made into sausage, then you can still introduce pathogens during the making, from work surfaces, utensils, equipment, your hands. Because some toxins are not destroyed by heat, the fact that they are cooked before eating doesn't guarantee that toxins were not created after they were cased and before they were cooked as sausages. If I were you, I would treat them like fresh sausages - if you aren't going to eat them right away, then use some Cure #1 to be safe, or freeze them if you aren't going to eat them within about 3 days of making.

JMO, of course. YMMV.

All I have is cure #2, I'm going to smoke them for a week then freeze them. These are eaten cooked when frying in a pan.

Thanks!
MikeF
Registered Member

Re: Alheiras?

Postby Swing Swang » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi Mike,

I'd be interested to know how you got on with your Alheiras. Did you cook them in the traditional way when serving? ie fried 'just right' so the casing sort of just pops off with the sausage remaining intact? Hard enough with a commercial sausage at the best of times mind you...

What recipe did you use? I'll have to dig out Maria de Lourdes Modesto's book and see what her recipe is sometime. - which means waiting until July, or getting someone to email me a photo of the right page.

As you've made comments on Portuguese sausages elsewhere have you tried/got a recipe for a farinheira?

Philip

(two consecutive post amalgamated - mod :D :D )
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Re: Alheiras?

Postby Goaty » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Tristar has a recipe & technique on his blog.

Looks very nice.
Goaty
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques