Linking Sausages made in collegen casings.

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Linking Sausages made in collegen casings.

Postby Nhannath » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi.

I'd like to try and use some collegen casings for sausages, more for convenience and consistency than anything else but I can't find any good information on how to link them. There is lots of info out there saying you can't just twist them as they unravel. I've read some comments about having to tie each link with twine but nothing pass that point.

Thanks in advance.

Neal
Nhannath
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Depending on the mix, if ya give it a bunch of twists and let the set a day the might hold there shape. I tie mine
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Nhannath » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi DanG.

Thanks for the quick response. I've no problem tieing the links just haven't seen on-line how?

Do I tie per link, leave and then cut the string out or does the string stay there. I know it sound stupid in my mind I know probably what I do just wanted to check.

Cheers

Neal
Nhannath
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 pm

I guess it depends on what you're making and how you cook it. I use plastic casings for skinless dogs and they need to be tied also, I'll leave the string on while I'm poaching them then remove it.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm pretty sure that collagen casings will un-link during cooking or before if you untie them.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Nhannath » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:54 pm

The sausage is type is an English - semi emulsified fresh sausage. It's cooked and eaten in the skin.

I've no problem tying the sausages just wondered on the technique?

Do you just tie each link leave and cut?

I'm assuming the twine doesn't stay on the sausage?

Cheers

Neal
Nhannath
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 pm

I tie collagen cases, then smoke . Don't try to poach collagen cases they will absorb the water and be sloppy on the sausages.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby poundofslingers » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:36 pm

How to link in two's.
Fill about 6ft or 2mtr of skin, find the half way point and squeeze and twist. Hold both in left hand then squeeze again with right hand to required length, twisting half a turn, nearest over the top away from you, then push one length through the loop with your fingers and you should have made two sausages. Repeat to end of skin.
As you get profficient at the job you will be able to work with a longer length of casing.
I have been making bangers for forty years but I never mastered linking in three's.
When using collagen casings do not fill to tightly or they will split during linking.

Mike
poundofslingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:28 pm

For anyone interested, the best tutorial/video on linking sausage in threes that I've ever seen is here:

http://www.sausagemaking.org/linkingSausages.html

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

linking with twine

Postby larry » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:17 pm

I saw a video at the Vermont Salumi website, or facebook page, I can't remember which, of the owner tying links with a cool technique. He had a little ball of twine in one hand, and he tied off a link, did not cut the twine, but advanced it to the end of the next link, tied it and moved on, never cutting the string until the end. the owner (who looks like a kid) spends summers in Italy working with/for butchers, and learning their secrets. I am guessing that it would work well with collagen casings, and it looks nice when you're done, with a line of twine running up the side of each link.
larry
Registered Member

Postby corromant » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:36 am

On only my third go at sausage making, I tried using collagen for the first time last weekend, disaster. I ended up resuffing them in to sheep’s casings.

Thinking about it afterwards I believe the main problem was that I over filled them, so that when I tried to link them they kept splitting, they seem to have no give in them unlike natural casings so it seems that you need to allow a bit of slack.

I will have another attempt tomorrow & see how I get on, however I think in the future I will stick to using natural casings as I find them much easier to work with.
corromant
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:56 am

corromant wrote: so that when I tried to link them they kept splitting, they seem to have no give in them

Sounds like maybe your batch of collagens might be dried out. I use collagen for 17-19mm snack sticks and had a batch that just kept splitting. I switched to another package and didn't happen again.
Other then that, the only other time I use them is if I run out of naturals while stuffing the sausage. I'll just pull a piece out of the draw and finish stuffing, that way I don't have to clean more casings.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby JLPicard » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 pm

wheels wrote:For anyone interested, the best tutorial/video on linking sausage in threes that I've ever seen is here:

http://www.sausagemaking.org/linkingSausages.html

Phil
Will that technique also work for Collagen casings?
JLPicard
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 pm

I afraid I can't answer that as I don't use small collagens. Anyone else know?
Sorry.
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Making Techniques