Making Chourico!

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Making Chourico!

Postby MikeF » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 am

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on making some chouricos this coming weekend, I just hope the weather cooperates. I really want to make more sausages this year than last year. I really need to re-think my cold smoker from last year, as some of you know my smoker hazard... :( But this year I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen. I'm going to put the cold smoker out in the backyard instead of inside the garage. I also need to make sure the hot plate is far enough from the smoker box so I don't create too much heat where the sausages are going to leak from the fat in the sausage melting.
I need to head to the store this week to get the pork shoulder/pork butt and marinate the cubed pork in the wine, garlic, paprika etc..
Now, for the stuffing the meat in casings. I want to stuff them by hand this year with a small funnel with about an inch opening to allow the cut pork to get through. This is how they stuff the sausages in Portugal everything by hand. They claim that if machines are used to stuff the sausages it alters/effects the taste and quality. So this year I'm doing it by hand. I made a big mistake last time with grinding the meat, I now know to just cut the pork into cubes not grind it up.
Hopefully it all works out for me this year... :)
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:59 am

Sounds like a plan, Mike!!!!

:D
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 am

Keep us posted! :)
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 am

Tomorrow I'll going to get the pork shoulder hopefully around 8 pounds.
I'm going to get all the meat chopped and marinated in the wine mixture and let everything marinate for 3 to 4 days. By Friday I would like to hand-stuff the casings and hopefully if it doesn't rain on Saturday begin cold smoking them... :D

I'll keep you guys posted! :wink:
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 am

This is an exciting recipe. I'm very interested in learning more about stuffing by hand, and the technique. Are there any tutorials/videos? Thanks.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:27 am

salumi512 wrote:This is an exciting recipe. I'm very interested in learning more about stuffing by hand, and the technique. Are there any tutorials/videos? Thanks.

Hi salumi!,

I've seen some videos on Youtube where they stuffed the sausage by hand since it was traditional to do. I did find this link that talks a little about how to stuff by funnel. http://www.sausagemania.com/stuffers.html

It doesn't seem to difficult by hand I'll sure though a lot of patience with it. Hopefully by Friday I will be ready to stuff the marinated meat and will comment about it.
I actually was looking for those funnels to buy online, but then when I saw it would cost about $15 to order. I thought of an idea of using a plastic bottle and cut the top 4" if you turn it upside down it works just as well as a funnel maybe better! :) Hey, at least I saved a little money :lol: .
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 am

Hey Guys!,

I have a question about cold smoking sausages. When I finish smoking the sausages for the day (about 4 hours each day for a week) and shut off the hot plate, Do I leave the sausages in the smoker box all night or, Should I bring them indoors then take them back out the next day for smoking?

Thanks! :wink:
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Mike

I take them in overnight and put them in the fridge.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby MikeF » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:11 pm

wheels wrote:Hi Mike

I take them in overnight and put them in the fridge.

Phil

Thanks wheels! :D
So I'll put them in the fridge and take them out each morning in the smoker.
Unless if its really cold outside and not raining maybe its ok to leave them outside, but I'll put them in the fridge to be on the safe side.
The hog casings just arrived today, so tomorrow I will stuff all the casings. I'll be sure to take pictures! :wink:
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Yep, depends on the temp. Of course, with the CSG you can easily smoke overnight in the summer to avoid the heat in the day.

I find that a "smoke: rest : smoke: rest etc" system works best for cold smoking.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby MikeF » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Hey Guys!,

I got all the sausages stuffed today. The recipe for the chourico said to use 3 tablespoons for 5 pounds, so since I had 8 pounds of meat I added 4 tablespoons. I calculated 4.8 tablespoons but only added 4 tablespoons.
I cooked a piece of meat and it tasted fine to me. Do you think the salt amount is ok?
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:54 am

Hey Guys!,

Here are pictures of my chouricos. I'm so happy and satisfied their looking pretty good this year. Can't wait to try them soon :D :D .

Meat Mixture:

Stuffed casings:

Chourico after smoked and hanged:

:)
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi Mike,
Those photo's look great of the chouricos you made. Let us know what recipe you used and your opinion on the end result.
Google has loads of recipes but I like personal recommendations.
How big were the holes in your mincer plates? looking at your pictures, you either chopped the fat by hand or your mincer plate had at least 1/2" holes.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 am

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Mike,
Those photo's look great of the chouricos you made. Let us know what recipe you used and your opinion on the end result.
Google has loads of recipes but I like personal recommendations.
How big were the holes in your mincer plates? looking at your pictures, you either chopped the fat by hand or your mincer plate had at least 1/2" holes.
Regards,
Jan.

Hi crusty!,
Thanks I had a lot of fun making them. I'll post the recipe for them tomorrow. Oh I stuffed the casings by hand, didn't need any machine.
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:34 am

Here's the chourico recipe:

5 pounds pork shoulder
1 head garlic, peeled finely chopped
4 oz. paprika
1 cup wine
3 tablespoons salt
pork casings
Insta cure #2

Combine ingredients except salt adding wine to just cover the meat. Marinate in the fridge for 24 hours stirring occasionally.
Before stuffing casings add 2 tablespoons of salt, mix well and cook a piece of meat to taste for seasoning. Add more salt as needed.
Stuff the casings tying off every 18 inches.
Place the sausages in a preheated smoker and follow smoking directions.
MikeF
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques