Hygrovating!!! There just has to be something wrong....

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Postby BriCan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:46 am

mrphilips wrote:BriCan has asked for a detailed synopsis of everything from the beginning to the end, including all equipment and the recipe... when i've complied i will post it here, with pictures of me in my underwear attached, so everyone can see everything - maybe somehow something down this line was missed... and someone will find it

As said reading the whole thread there are at least a couple (if not more) things that to me just don't seem/sit right, rather than stick my size 14teens in my North and South was why the request for the information.

vagreys in our talking s has said on more than one occasion that he would like to learn how I do the curing and I have repeatedly told him that I don't no that much I just do what I do and up to now (30+ years on) it works. All I can say is that being trained by the Government people has it's advantages :)

(while we still have hair)

I don't :lol: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:13 pm

mrphilips wrote:i looked at it. looks white and plastic... do you have a suggestion?
i know the pros prefer different stuffers... i'm trying to use what's available and not break the bank, but i understand the difference quality makes... (queue music)

like... i want to make a few cured sausages. i see so many books and hear from so many online that use the kitchenaid stuff without issue... so do i have to buy all the pro equipment to be less than semi-pro?
i'm not trying to be teenaged about this, and i realize that eliminating all the weak points will help find the issue, i just won't be buying a $$ stuffer if i can't make a good sausage in the first place... i've already spent way more on this with zip to show for it and grumble grumble crap pants i'm just grumpy.
beer.

but yeah, what do you suggest? and some specifics would be good - a brand or something. i would like to check the options available around here.

I'm just trying to help you find the problem.

Unlike you, I know many folks who've had problems with the Kitchen-Aid
stuffer attachment.

You know what's best for you and that's great.

From now on, I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Good luck!

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby mrphilips » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:49 pm

oh crap, sorry dude - i try to be funny to blow off my own steam, and i come off rude maybe... i appologize. that was not my intent.

i do not want you to keep your comments to your self! appreciate any help you have! i am genuinely frustrated and stumped and appreciate any suggestions.

do you have a suggestion on a better stuffer or specific knowledge on the kitchenaid one? it's the only kind i've ever used, so it seems normal and easy to use to me, but if you know people who have issues with that, please elaborate... and tell me what kind of stuffer you would suggest, if you use one that works better for you.
mrphilips
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Here's two (I think they are the same).

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product ... ge-Stuffer

http://www.sausagemaker.com/50510sausagestuffer5lb.aspx

One's in Canada and the other will ship there. There are more expensive larger sizes available, but this should give you a fighting chance to suceed. In the equipment section of the forum you will find many discusions about stuffers. HTH
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby mrphilips » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:15 pm

thank you sir.
i had considered smear as an issue but didn't know that the stuffer would do it and assumed that the ice-cold quality would be enough.

i may invest in one of these babys come my next attempt, if you think it sopunds like a smear issue.
thanks for the links
mrphilips
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Mrphillips how is the cooked texture of your fresh sausages stuffed using the grinder? If it's at all grainy or not firm and cohesive that's a strong indicator of smearing.

I had very mixed results using a grinder to stuff, and $85 or $100 US for a dedicated stuffer really isn't that much money once you start using it and realize how much easier it makes your life.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby mrphilips » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 pm

my fresh ones seem fine.
well so far they SEEM fine... but maybe they could be that much better?

so far the only comments i've had on them in the negative were that sometimes the skins feel tough... not thin and crispy like street-vendor sausages, but more like rubbery condoms, lol.

i'm not sure if that's got anything to do with the smear.
but hey, if i do get a better stuffer and make a better cured sausage i can imagine the fresh ones would only benefit too.
mrphilips
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Not only the sausages will benefit but so will your stress level. It's like 100000 times easier to stuff with a piston rather than trying to push ground forcemeat through an auger with a plunger.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Kizer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:09 pm

I receive this one in the mail tomorrow. It looks like the same one that was posted, but costs a lot less.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252
Kizer
Registered Member

Postby mrphilips » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:21 pm

ok guys, so a fairly incredible thing happened... after three weeks of leaving the chamber without any additional humidity, the humidity dropped to about 50% and look what i got coming out:
so do i need to reduce the humidity after a few weeks to get the interioer drying? this is so weird...

i've had a number of folks ask me about my entire history in one fell swoop. it took a long time to write, but it's done. and so... to carry forward with this thread, i've actually started a new one:
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... 5850#85850

hop on that if you have any more suggestions.
thanks.
mrphilips
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:55 am

mrphilips wrote:ok guys, so a fairly incredible thing happened... after three weeks of leaving the chamber without any additional humidity, the humidity dropped to about 50% and look what i got coming out:

I have coped and printed off and have started to read and digest But looking at this (and this is before I have finished reading) I will say that you are on the right track
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby mrphilips » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:28 pm

well, yes and no...
this pic looks good and it tastes fine too, and that's great.

but the problem is i don't understand why it happened... 6 weeks @ 80% followed by 3 weeks @ diminishing humidity down to 50% doesn't seem like the correct process.

but if i can figure out why it happened like that and what i can do to recreate it (and hopefully streamline it down by a few weeks), THEN i'd be on the right track!

but take your time digesting it, and maybe the answer will pop out. thanks!
mrphilips
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Lots of producers use diminishing humidity as their products dry. I'm not sure if anyone goes down to 50% but it's not an uncommon tactic.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby mrphilips » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm

i had heard that at some point. but i think they still use a shorter term than i have done...
would you know of a "schedule"? or any data to consider before i reattempt?
these last guys were close but still incomplete (and uneven - case hardening was still present) after 9 weeks.
my goal is to get a process down that more or less matches what's expected out there... 3 weeks.
mrphilips
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:50 pm

Mrphilips

I can send you one - PM me your email

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Making Techniques