STUFFERS

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

STUFFERS

Postby qwertydvorak » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Ok, first batch went well up until time to stuff. I now know why everyone on this site says to ONLY use a stuffer to stuff. It was a nightmare trying to stuff using the grinder. Took TONS of work to even get it down the tube, let alone into the casing. It still came out somewhat good, but I will not do another batch until I own a stuffer.

That brings me to my question. I was checking out 5Lb vertical stuffers. I saw 3 different ones that caught my attention. One was a kitchener one was a 3 letter name in all caps (can't remember) and the other was the LEM. Should I just bite the bullet and spend for the LEM ? The user reviews for the other two mentioned plastic parts and breakage, and from what I can tell the LEM is all metal.

Your recommendations ? Also, pics of my first batch will be coming... ;)
qwertydvorak
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I have the Grizzly 5 lb. that I'm quite happy with, it does have the plastic gears.
Current price is $80. My plan is to replace the gears with LEM metal gears if they ever break.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sa ... ical/H6252

I noticed a couple weeks ago that Everything Kitchens has the LEM for $140 with free shipping.

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/LEM-5 ... uffer.html

8)
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Grizzley

Postby qwertydvorak » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks for the response. I just checked out that grizzley, will the gears from the LEM work on that one ? I looked on the grizzley site for parts and i found it interesting that one of the main things I could see breaking (the gears) have numbers 4 and 4a on the parts diagram, but those two parts aren't there to order.

I did some digging around, and the steel LEM gears are only $30. I am going to ask my father for the Grizzley for my birthday in May. Then if the gears ever break I will then replace them with the steel LEM gears.

Thank you for that bit of info. You made my decision for me. :D
qwertydvorak
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:07 am

Unless something has changed recently, the LEM gears will fit the Grizzly.
I know this because a friend changed out his plastic Grizzly gears for the LEM metal.
The only thing he had to do was file a slight chamfer where the handle slides on, if I remember correctly.
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:45 am

I have a LEM 5lbs and love it. Works great...easy to clean....lots of sized tubes available....even the ground jerky attachment works well. I think I paid $150....good value in my books. :D
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby JLPicard » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:16 pm

SausageBoy wrote:I noticed a couple weeks ago that Everything Kitchens has the LEM for $140 with free shipping.

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/LEM-5 ... uffer.html

8)
Everything Kitchens now has these on sale for $125, but they are out of stock, so 'Your Mileage May Vary'.
JLPicard
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Based on SausageBoy's comments, I've ordered up the Grizzly stuffer along with extra seals (just in case). This will get me away from the grinder/stuffer process I've been using to create very bad results.

I checked a number of units out and this one seems to provide the needed capability at a reasonable price. As previously noted, the gears are not steel but can be easily changed out to durable metallic units if that time comes.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Got the Grizzly 5 pounder and have just run our first sausages through it.

I can't emphasize enough that a grinder is not a stuffer. After a few minutes of working with the Grizzly unit, it's no surprise that I've overground every sausage run using the grinder set up. Turned sausage meat back into ground meat every time.

The Grizzly unit is nicely done for an exceptionally low price. Not a pretty product but fully functional and effective for the job. The big thing about this stuffer is that it's not a grinder - which is the point trying to be made by all those wise characters that have gone before us and are now trying to pass on their hard gained wisdom.

The Grizzly is a great starter machine and it should serve you well until you graduate to the expert level and may want a larger setup.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Vertical or Horitonal Stuffer?

Postby SausageTragic » Fri May 04, 2012 1:43 am

Just to reopen this discussion, I notice that the recommendation is for a vertical stuffer. I have seen adverts for both vertical and horizontal models.

My question is: "Is there a difference in end product between the vertical and horizontal stuffer, or simply personal choice?"

I've noticed that on many vertical models available here, there is a huge elbow piece for direction change at the bottom of the vessel which seems a waste of unstuffed meat. Admittedly, this remainder is a great excuse for a cookup, :lol:

I too started with the grinder/stuffer, but now looking for a stuffer, but SWMBO must also be appeased.

We only make 1 - 2 kgs per session, but marking time now until a suitable stuffer can be sourced.
- Brooksy

Life's too short for crook sausages.......
Us ugly old bastards need a hug now and again too....
SausageTragic
Registered Member

Postby Titch » Fri May 04, 2012 4:26 am

We have one of these, 7 litre out of Sydney.

http://www.jerky.com.au/cgi-bin/ustorek ... ment2.html

It leaves behind about 4 burger patties in the tube or we top it with bread to push the rest through.
We are very happy with it,
Cheers.
Titch
Marriage is a life sentence.
Titch
Registered Member

Postby SausageTragic » Fri May 04, 2012 4:54 am

Thanks for the info Titch....
Holy Smoke! What a monster! That would lead down the road to divorce here mate, lmao.
My target is about 2kgs a week, barely enough to prim the big bugger, :lol:
I'm looking at a couple of 3 Litre jobs on eBay,
both:

Vertical: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-3L-Sausage-Filler-Stuffer-Stainless-Steel-Two-Speed-Adjustment-/130587155432?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Restaurant_Catering_Equipment&hash=item1e6799dbe8#ht_4380wt_1156
and
Horizontal: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sausage-Stuffer-Filler-Maker-Stainless-3L-FULL-2-YR-WTY-/251049720288?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Restaurant_Catering_Equipment&hash=item3a73bab9e0

Either will lead to a period of 'volcanic instability' in the household, :lol:
- Brooksy

SausageTragic
Registered Member

Postby Titch » Fri May 04, 2012 4:59 am

3 ltr is $187.
http://www.jerky.com.au/cgi-bin/ustorek ... pment.html
I like the idea of being able to get spare parts.
Cheers mate.
Titch

Edit my mistake.
I have the 5 ltr not the 7.
Cheers.
Titch
Marriage is a life sentence.
Titch
Registered Member

Postby SausageTragic » Fri May 04, 2012 6:41 am

Thanks again Titch, much appreciated.

Well there's another one for the list I guess, lol.

All up cost $225 inc GST & delivery, may have to wait a short while i think.
Might give 'em ring and see if I can convince 'em I'm good looking' lmao.

I like the idea of spares as well.....

5 ltr, 7 ltr, both big buggers, :lol: :wink:

Thanks mate.
- Brooksy

SausageTragic
Registered Member

stuffer

Postby dorsets21 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:51 pm

i got given a 15 ltr stuff by freind started me on the road of shop owner so much for friends non stop :lol: got to make money
ask the question? where does my food come from
dorsets21
Registered Member

Re: stuffer

Postby SausageTragic » Fri May 04, 2012 11:01 pm

dorsets21 wrote:i got given a 15 ltr stuff by freind started me on the road of shop owner so much for friends non stop :lol: got to make money

Friend?? lol...

Man oh man, a job?

Stone the crows!!!

Have you caught up with them yet?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great stuff Dorset.
It is great to make money doing something you love...
- Brooksy

SausageTragic
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques