Chorizo -- Air Dried

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Chorizo -- Air Dried

Postby BriCan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:39 am

Dried cured chorizo

I sometimes ponder the thought of why the things I do which seem to most, is not logic or in fact turn out the way they do. It seems that the clients I deal with demand the clean unbiased taste without the add-on’s that come or are associated with starter cultures and such, that is to say that they are not needed especially with home curers

I was asked via pm from someone looking for a Chorizo recipe and loved the way mine looked and asked if I would share the recipe, I replied that if they did not mind waiting that I would have time on the weekend. It was also lucky as I had been taking photos for my own records

This then is a recipe that I picked up while working on the ships many years ago while in the Med of an air dried Spanish Chorizo

Boneless pork picnic (shoulder) a bit too lean so need to add some back fat

Spices (clockwise – paprika, Crushed/flaked chillies, Cure 2, Oregano, Salt, Black pepper), Red wine and fresh garlic

Corse ground once

Ready for mixing with spices, red wine and garlic

Completely mixed and ready for second grind

Corse ground the second time

Linked and ready for hanging overnight for drying before going out to the smokehouse for cold smoking

Back from the smokehouse and starting the drying process 12 degrees C @ 68% humidity, my normal space is a 15 degrees C @ 70% humidity

Drying is an art in itself and a fine balance of not drying too fast which incurs the dreaded problem of ‘case hardening’ There are ways to get around this but as with everything it takes time (which for most is a precious commodity) as well as dedication

I was taught by the old timers about the feel of the product one is trying to dry, to check three times a day; two is a must (morning as well as evening) and if the product was drying too fast wipe it/them down with a wet cloth. This was the way the old ones did it in their homes (and is still done this way these days with some).

My friend who taught me the above also showed me how to slow the drying process down which usually prevents the dreaded case of case hardening, what we do is transfer the product to our cooler which (mine) runs at 0 to 1 degrees C

if one looks at the temp/humidly on the inside of the cooler we see something interesting – we have a high humidity which works well with the drying process preventing case hardening

After four days at 12 degrees C @ 68% humidity the casing was firm enough that they needed to be transferred into the cooler where they will stay until they are firm enough to the feel which will mean that they have lost 30%

As for mould ---- we will leave that for another day

I do hope that this has been of some help

Spice per Kg of meat - Pork Shoulder

10g Salt
3.5g Black pepper
13.5g Paprika
5.5g Crushed/flaked Chillies
1.5g Oregano
6g Fresh Garlic
21ml Dry red wine
3g Cure 2

I will post the dried product when ready

Edited 2 times due to missing ingredient & instruction
Last edited by BriCan on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 am

I feel like I just got a book in a box. Thank you BriCan.

Although I am interested in the mold part. Do you prevent it, ignore it, wipe it?

Also, how much cure #2 is in that per kilo?

Thanks.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 am

salumi512 wrote:I feel like I just got a book in a box. Thank you BriCan.

Although I am interested in the mold part. Do you prevent it, ignore it, wipe it?

a discussion for another time when health/mind is much better

Also, how much cure #2 is in that per kilo?

Thanks.

Corrected now, thank you
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Carl333 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:09 am

My 1st post!!

Ok, I'm the guy who queried about the recipe. This is EXACTY what I was looking for. Appreciate the efforts in putting this all together. It takes time...

This will be my 1st attempt at the art of sausage making. I'm so excited to try this out. My only concern. I hope I can replicate the drying conditions. I have a spare fridge in the basement that may work but just trying to figure out how to get the humidity I need but then maybe I need circulating air so the spare fridge may not be a good idea after all.

thinking, thinking...
Carl333
Registered Member

Postby tommix » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Is the second grind necessary or can you just use a medium plate and do it once. The reason I ask is that when making sausage after I add the salt, spices, etc. I have such a sticky mess that it seems it would be hard to run through the grinder again. :?

Great post BriCan, thank-you
tommix
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Good post Robert. Thanks for the recipe.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:41 pm

salumi512 wrote:I feel like I just got a book in a box. Thank you BriCan.

I can't say it better. Thanks.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Carl333 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Could anyone please suggest what size casing and type I should get for 20 lbs. of meat and what length will I need? What is the storage life on casings? Is there a best before date?

Sorry, newbie here. I ordered a couple of sausage making books to learn as much as I can but need some assistance here to get me going.

rgds
Carl333
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:06 am

tommix wrote:Is the second grind necessary or can you just use a medium plate and do it once.

In one word --- no if you do not want :)

The reason I ask is that when making sausage after I add the salt, spices, etc. I have such a sticky mess that it seems it would be hard to run through the grinder again. :?

To me that sounds like it has been over mixed :? if you look at my mix it is loose -- I tend to blend rather than mix -- regrinding produces a good mix
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby tommix » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks Robert, I will mix less next time and see how it goes. I want to try that Chorizo recipe but my curing/drying chamber is full of salami and pepperoni. (That's not a bad thing!) :D
tommix
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:43 pm

It's been a couple of weeks since these was put up to dry, using the feel test (a quick squeeze of my sausage every morning) I felt that it was time to test these tasty morsels out -- the consensus was 'please sir; can I av more' :shock:

The way I dry I rarely if ever have a problem with case hardening -- in most cases this would be a tell-tale sign of a dark coloured ring where the casing meats the meat

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Re: Chorizo -- Air Dried

Postby wheels » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:18 pm

BriCan wrote:

My friend who taught me the above also showed me how to slow the drying process down which usually prevents the dreaded case of case hardening, what we do is transfer the product to our cooler which (mine) runs at 0 to 1 degrees C...

...if one looks at the temp/humidly on the inside of the cooler we see something interesting – we have a high humidity which works well with the drying process preventing case hardening

Nice job.

It's interesting to note that whilst the Relative Humidity is high at 1°C, the actual humidity, as in the amount of water vapour in the air, is low.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Chorizo -- Air Dried

Postby BriCan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:02 am

wheels wrote:Nice job.

Tar very muchly :)

It's interesting to note that whilst the Relative Humidity is high at 1°C, the actual humidity, as in the amount of water vapour in the air, is low.

There are times that these numbers are fine and then there are times it can be a bi*ch The humidity is a tad on the high side due to the brine tubs (2) in the cooler The one thing its good for is the production (natural) mould :D

It's all good :lol: :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:46 am

love this
thanks
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby Carl333 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Your chorizo looks so tantalizing Robert. Now if I could only have a bite. I bought a couple of sausage making books and gathering intelligence of the basics of sausage making. I've learned that it is more than just simply following a recipe. I'll be starting my 1st attempt at sausage making soon and it will be this recipe!
Carl333
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Making Techniques