When curing a batch of bresaola

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

When curing a batch of bresaola

Postby salumi512 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Can they all go in the same tub while curing in the fridge? I'm doing a batch of six, and just want to make sure it's Ok if they are touching during the cure cycle. I'm able to keep three from touching, but not six.

I will be working them over every couple of days and rotating them.

There is just enough room in my drying chamber to hang six without touching after the curing cycle.

I'm in a bresaola rut due to success, and more orders. I guess I need another drying chamber if I'm going to get any other recipes done.

Thanks for the input.
salumi512
Registered Member

Re: When curing a batch of bresaola

Postby BriCan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:32 am

salumi512 wrote:Can they all go in the same tub while curing in the fridge? I'm doing a batch of six, and just want to make sure it's Ok if they are touching during the cure cycle. I'm able to keep three from touching, but not six.

While working the smokehouse I would process 20 to 30 at a time, they would all get salted (curing salt) stack them all in the large tub elevated off the bottom so that they do not sit in the liquid that comes off the meat leave in the cooler for a week

I will be working them over every couple of days and rotating them.

There is just enough room in my drying chamber to hang six without touching after the curing cycle.

I'm in a bresaola rut due to success, and more orders. I guess I need another drying chamber if I'm going to get any other recipes done.

Thanks for the input.
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:11 am

With six I am definitely getting a lot of liquid, so thanks for that advice. This brings up another question.

When looking at weight loss as a measure of doneness, is it before the salting or before the drying for the start weight? I've been rolling with firmness tests and taste so far, but I wonder what the books are using as a reference, as I cannot find it in the text.

thanks.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm

salumi512 wrote:With six I am definitely getting a lot of liquid, so thanks for that advice. This brings up another question.

When looking at weight loss as a measure of doneness, is it before the salting or before the drying for the start weight? I've been rolling with firmness tests and taste so far, but I wonder what the books are using as a reference, as I cannot find it in the text.

thanks.

Weight is usually taken at the start of the drying process , I have been doing the firmness test's as this is how I was taught -- I do randomly do a weigh test and find that I am at the required weight loss :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques