Too hot to make sausage?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Too hot to make sausage?

Postby Kyle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Ok. I have some countertop area, grinder, stuffer and basically all of my making devices in my garage. There is no temp control in there at all. Any suggestions on cooling that area? It's a 20x20x10 area. Or should I just grind, refrigerate, mix, refrigerate, stuff, refrigerate, then package? I hate the thought of a 75 degree room to make sausage in. What do you guys do when it gets hot out? I'd really like to cool the room down into the 40's, then I'd feel much more comfortable about it. I want to make sure my family is not eating unhealthy products. Advice?
Kyle
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:32 pm

I make sausage in my kitchen. My kitchen is never 40°F. My kitchen is never cooler than the rest of the house. I par-freeze meat before grinding and between grinds. I chill my equipment before use. I use a large, heavy, thick, ceramic bowl to hold the sausage while I season and mix it, and I refrigerate that bowl before use. My sausage has never been unsafe.

I don't make sausage, except in small batches for immediate use, during peak summer heat.

My house ranges in temp from the mid-60's in winter to the low 80's on the worst days of summer.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:09 pm

I agree if your equipment and meat is sufficiently chilled, and you work at a reasonable pace, a hot kitchen is no problem.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm with vagreys here. I too refrain from sausagemaking on hot summer days (and other things that require a cold environment - try making puff pastry in a 90 F kitchen... :( ). However, at 60-70 F, I don't see a problem if you work reasonably fast and with chilled meat and equipment.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:24 am

I agree with you guys. I just want to cool the work area as much as possible. Sometimes the garage can get pretty warm and that makes me nervous.
Kyle
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:44 am

I make sausage in a tiny kitchen that's more often than not 75 degrees or more.
I refrigerate at every opportunity and keep what's out of the fridge on ice and my equipment cold.
I monitor the temperature frequently, I've never had a problem keeping the meat below 40 degrees.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Kyle wrote:I agree with you guys. I just want to cool the work area as much as possible. Sometimes the garage can get pretty warm and that makes me nervous.

Is it cooler early morning - maybe that could be a way around your problem.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Making Techniques