Cheese moulds

Equipment and ingredients suppliers and plans for home made cheese making equipment.

Cheese moulds

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:19 pm

I've decided to make some ceramic cheese moulds and followers. I've made up a batch of Lancashire and it was like trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot using the hard cheese mould I bought. Also I have an idea to incorporate drainage into the design.

I'll report progress, hopefully with pictures, when I can get my hands on the camera (its in California with the OH at the moment). Good to be making cheese again though after quite a break.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Gail » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi Jenny
what a coincidence as I havent made cheese since before xmas because I have had such a busy winter and have been feeding the milk to pigs to fatten them. The pigs went for slaughter last week so now I have started cheesemaking again.
I had forgotten just how enjoyable it is.

I cant wait to see your pics. I have just ordered some new moulds from alliance Pastorale here in France and I would recommend you looking at their prices even to get things sent from here. They are very reasonable and you can order and pay by Credit card.

If anyone needs a hand with the french bits then give me a shout although the site is in English you order in French.

Gail xx
Gail
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Dr Dave has lots of quirky ideas as always, a few pictures coming soon,

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:20 pm

The dairy crest mould/press:

The mould is punctured with multiple scissor stabs and the press is filled with water as required. A layer of cling film on the press helps to keep it sealed.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:10 pm

That's what I call re-cycling! At least you know it's food grade plastic as well. I cut a strip from the centre about 2inches wide, force it into a circular shape, and voila, a nice brie mould.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Return to Cheese making equipment