Cheese Cave Questions

Equipment and ingredients suppliers and plans for home made cheese making equipment.

Cheese Cave Questions

Postby Heathers » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:08 pm

I can't help myself. I want make cheese every couple weeks now but I'll soon outgrow my small college dorm sized fridge.

1. I'm curious as to where you all age your cheeses. I do have a basement that stays very cool but it has a dank moldy smell that I'm not sure is good for cheeses. Maybe out them in a container?

2. In my small fridge, how close together can the cheeses be? Are there consequences for over crowding?

3. Obviously there is no air circulation in my tiny fridge. Is this going to be a problem?

Any other brilliant ideas?
Heathers
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:37 pm

I use a 6 foot tall larder fridge, and I stack my cheeses as close as they can get without actually touching. The family call it the smelly fridge :D

I wouldn't dismiss your basement too quickly, try buying a piece of brie or camembert and leave it in there in the open and see what happens to it over a couple of weeks...

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:59 pm

I use the crisper in the bottom of the fridge, other people have bought a wine fridge.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Heathers » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:05 pm

My regular kitchen fridge is set at 4.44C/40F so I thought that would be too cold. Do you set your higher even though you have other typical fridge items in there or is your crisper just colder than the rest?
Heathers
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:20 pm

that is a bit cold, depending on the design some crispers are much warmer than the rest of the fridge. As mine is dedicated to cheese and meat curing I have it set at 10 deg Cent.
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Cheese making equipment