Rennet/vegeren

Everything you were afraid to ask about cheesemaking!

Postby Gail » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:17 pm

I am so, so sorry to read that Rik has passed away. I have just found this site after searching for ages and his recipes and 'how to' is brilliant and the step by step way he did things was the best I have found. I really wish I had found the site earlier and got to know him.
His memory will definately live on in my cheese making.

I am making all sorts and up to now have used Danone natural yoghurt as a starter but a friend in the UK sent me a starter culture. I used it and today my cheddar although it set it went to slush when I started to heat it. It is in a bag at the moment draining but it isnt curds or anything like it. As I live in France I can get the AP stuff easily if I knew which one to order. It is not possible to buy buttermilk here I am afraid :(
Maybe I will order the lot and experiment.

You lot are great and I appreciate your help. I hope we get to know each other better in the future.

Gail xx
Gail
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:50 pm

Gail,

We are fortunate that Rik took so much time to post as much of his knowledge as he did. Looking through I wonder if this might help. He mentions this culture as a possible ingredient in his 'cheddar cheese make' thread, and I have found these people to be very helpful.
http://www.ascott.biz/item883.htm

I usually add calcium chloride to help curd formation, especially with goats milk. Are you able to get rennet easily? If you have difficulty with supplies PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

It cant be!

Postby Michelle » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:53 am

:cry: Oh my goodness guy's,I cant express my sadness to hear that Rik has passed away! I have learned so much from Rik and feel so lucky to have gotten the chance to know him.Bless his soul !

Michelle
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby Gail » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:40 pm

Thanks for that Jen. I can get rennet easily here but it is the starters I am struggling with. I think at the end of the day I will have to get my stuff from Ascotts which is a pain as the postage is not cheap.

I will have to improve my french so that I can order from Alliance Pastorale next year.

Gail x
Gail
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:58 pm

a bit late, but, if you go to the alliance pastorale main page (http://www.alliancepastorale.fr/) you'll find a link marked EXPORT in the right hand column. from here you can browse things in translation.
jpj
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cheese Making FAQ's