Stilton Concerns

General Cheese making discussion

Stilton Concerns

Postby markh » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:37 pm

I am concerned about the mold on my stiltons - 5 (taller) & 4 weeks old respectively. Recently the yellowish coloration has taken on a blackish tinge - hopefully you can see it in the pics. I have been carefull not to touch them with bare hands, Is the humidity perhaps to high?

Rik, I assumed that the 'Black Mucuor' you warned against was a more localised mold, this reminds me more of mildew and I am detecting a faint whiff like ammonia :(

Should I continue, discard, or wipe them with Vinegar?
If the latter, the surface on the taller cheese is quite soft, almost textured and I would either have to remove it completely or just 'dab' the surface.

I would be grateful for any advice.
Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling English Drunkard made the rolling English road... G.K.Chesterton
markh
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:30 pm

That is a classic stilton crust.

As near perfect as you can get. I should start off orangey brown with hints of other colours and it could finish up a greyer colour finally.

No worriers about black mucor mold it looks like black furry catapillers they also call it black cat fur it is very hairy and you haven't got it.

The ammonia smell is just the Stilton ripening but don't let it get too pronounced.

..Image
Last edited by Rik vonTrense on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby markh » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:03 pm

Thanks for that reassurance Rik, I would have felt a right pratt if I had just gone ahead and wiped - or worse yet chucked them :oops:

I guess it is something you pick up from experience - I am just grateful to be able to tap yours :D
Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling English Drunkard made the rolling English road... G.K.Chesterton
markh
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat