There should be some ripe stiltons around......

General Cheese making discussion

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:05 am

Exercise power of veto if you're in danger of being outvoted, it was one of the best days out we had when the kids were smaller. I think I did a trade off for a day at Oakwood theme park to go there, but we were all spellbound watching and listening to this guy, and his cheeses are first rate.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby KevinR » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:20 am

I should be quick if you want to visit Llangloffan Cheese. My Parents who live close by and get all their cheeses from him say he is retiring. I hope they are wrong but suspect not. :cry: They say West Wales Cheese (I think) will continue to make his cheeses. The Ewes milk Camembert is just sublime. Also, I can recommend their restaurant (Tides) which I understand will remain open. It is very good if a trifle pricy.

My Stilton developed a very strong smell, I think I kept it too humid for too long. Mrs R banished it from the house. However, it proved very tasty but milder than I was expecting (especially with the smell). There wasn�t all that much blue veining and I suspect that I should have prodded it a little more with the needle. However, it was all eaten with nothing left, which must make it a success whatever the taste or smell.

Rik I also thank you for your help and advice and guidance, especially politely advising on my mould cock-up. I am now better equipped, and a tad more experienced. More cheeses on their way!

Kevin
KevinR
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:32 pm

I'll see what I can manage, we're actually at Tenby which is not that convenient :(

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:00 am

Cracked my stilton over the weekend. I took half to a BBQ on Sunday along with 2 kg of assorted sausages and 2 kg of burgers.

Apart from a few young people whose exposure to good food seemed to be limited to mac-d, KFC, Pizza and ready meals, everyone really liked the stilton.

There were serious discussions as to who was going to take home, the few uncooked sausages, burgers and the piece of uneaten stilton. Thankfully all was resolved with good humour and generosity.

I think I will have to make some more stilton's.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:10 am

Mine went down well too. It tasted and smelt like a stilton but with little veining and what there was was orange rather than blue.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:50 pm

It is surprising but sometimes the amount of blue veining puts people off from even trying it........you know the saying ....It's mouldy cheese.

There again sometimes the colour of the veining does vary and it depends on the environment that the cheese is matured in.

But if a stilton still tastes like a stilton should without any veining then that is
all to the good and can be classes as a nice white stilton which usually is not so strong.

It's is all experience and when you can make them identical each time then you know you have arrived as a cheesemaker.

Well done all concerned.

/
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cheese Chat