first time cheesemaking

General Cheese making discussion

Postby aris » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:55 pm

Ya, I realise that - but i'm wondering how strong this would be after only 4 weeks. I know this is difficult to quantify in words - but if you can compare it to something - that would be good.
aris
Site Admin

Postby BlueCheese » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:11 pm

take samples regularly, get a apple corer type thingy and sample it then replace the plug.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:22 am

I've found a cheese corer, it's too big. An apple corer would be worse for the size I make,

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby andrewqld » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:43 am

aris wrote:Ya, I realise that - but i'm wondering how strong this would be after only 4 weeks. I know this is difficult to quantify in words - but if you can compare it to something - that would be good.

The flavour and aroma are quite subdued, more of a mellow flavour that is not as sharp as you would expect from this type of cheese, quite a good way to introduce someone to the flavour of the blue cheeses without putting them off.

Cheese
Andrew
andrewqld
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:40 am

domestic blues vary greatly in their maturity-reaching. anything from 2 to 6 months is recommended (see fankhauser, carroll etc)
andrewqld describes a young one spot on.
jpj
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cheese Chat