Question

General Cheese making discussion

Question

Postby THING » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:41 pm

Hello cheeseheads, probably the most stupid cheese related question ever, but, How would I produce the cheese that they use for the product "Cheesestrings"?

The reason I ask is my teenager is mad on the ruddy things and I figured I could whip up a batch and save a few bob in the process.

Advice please?!
THING

Postby BlueCheese » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:57 pm

from the little I could find out on the web, it sounds like your typical processed cheese extruded from a multyhole die so their in individualy strands. never tasted the stuff but somehow i thingk i would stick to regular chedar cheese :D
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby THING » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:11 pm

Extruded? Multihole? Slow down, I have never produced my own cheese, the terms are lost on me.

Thanks a lot though BlueCheese oh and if I were a cheese person like yourself then I'd avoid cheesestrings like the plague. :D

Anybody else know?
THING

Postby saucisson » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:05 pm

Go here and click on the 2nd picture, I think you'll get the idea!

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/product_det ... 130&id=281

Quite how you would get or make cheese with the properties to go in a machine and be extruded like that are another matter

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BlueCheese » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:59 pm

LOL !
Bottom line is its a pain in the ass :D
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby sage'n'onion » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:10 pm

I believe they make it by the same method as mozzarella. Stretching, pulling and winding. Then again and again until the cheese is smooth and stretchy. You can acheive the same result with any cheese by pulling it constantly.
sage'n'onion
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat