Updates

General Cheese making discussion

Updates

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:01 pm

These are the last of last years batch. Comments on my site. Taste great and ready to eat, was stored a bit too cold so aging was slow.
BrieClaudel
Cambozola
DanishBlue
TriBlue

Fixed :D
Last edited by BlueCheese on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Michelle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:11 pm

They all look nice and creamy,if you dont mind me asking ...Where did you age your cheese?I am all ready to make cheese,I just have to know how to handle the cheese once it comes out of the mold! :oops:
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:29 pm

U can see the pics? Hmm, dont see anything.
Anyways I had them in the middle of the fridge, but I have moved them to the crisper (bottom of the fridge).
Still dont have proper wraping paper so i loosely used parchment paper.
:)

The lastes cheeses i made this year I have near the outside door (sunken doorway, poorly insulated) and with the weather it is its always around 50F so its ideal temp for aging.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Michelle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:27 pm

Yes,I see 4 pics....the top 1 looks lovely to spread on crackers!Well I guess I had better start checking areas of my home for temps! Thank you B.C!
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:49 pm

No prob, hope to see some of your work :)
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:54 pm

Nice looking cheeses BC!

Hope mine come out as well.

Michelle, I bought a small plastic storage bin with a lid. Put my cheese in it and into the coldest room in the house (laundry room). I could close the door and open a window in the room, if need be, to regulate the temperature.

I thought the storage bin would keep the humidity up where it was supposed to be. When I finally broke out the hygrometer I'd bought months ago and checked the humidity in the bin, it registered about 45-50%, so I took a small plastic cup, put a pile of salt in it and just enough water that the top of the pile of salt wasn't submerged. Put that in the bin with the cheese and the humidity went up to 90%. About where it should be according to the recipe I'm following (Brie).

Now it's in the fridge, still in the bin and the humidity is at about 96%, temp 38-42F.

Good luck with it.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Michelle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:20 pm

Wow,thank you for that great hunk of info BBQer! I guess I will have to keep mine in the laundryroom! I went and bought a little storage bin last week for aging my cheese,my husband stole it on me!Good thing I didnt have cheese in it yet! I dont want it back either,I have no idea what he may have put in it?lol
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Oh, the nerve! LOL I wouldn't take it back either. Wouldn't want cheese that tasted like old motor oil. :shock:
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat