Batch 2

General Cheese making discussion

Batch 2

Postby this41uk » Fri May 11, 2007 6:18 pm

Help :!: :!:

After the untimely collapse of my first cheese I have set about making its replacement. I used the same recipe as for the Stilton but omitted one thing :oops: The Blue Cheese :oops:

So I have what looks to me like a very nice cheese but what will it be and moreover when will I be able to eat it. :roll:

Anybody got any suggestions.

Tim
Old and Confused but Still a Happy Camper
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Fri May 11, 2007 6:42 pm

maybe when you poke holes into it you could deliberately contaminate the utensil with blueness, and then see what happens . . . .
jpj
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Sat May 12, 2007 3:20 pm

grab some blue/stilton cheese and smear some of the bloom onto your cheese, at least that will cover it then poke hole in it.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby this41uk » Sat May 12, 2007 4:41 pm

If I leave it as a white cheese anybody know what it might turn into and how long before I can sample it.

Not that I'm inpatient :wink:

Tim
Old and Confused but Still a Happy Camper
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Sat May 12, 2007 6:03 pm

Depends on what u used as a starter culture. Didnt read what u used, might just turn into farm cheese.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Sat May 12, 2007 6:27 pm

Tim,

A few people around here have made cheese and forgotten something, only to end up with a new and just as nice alternative. You might try pressing it a bit salting, then spraying with a Candidium Culture, or even pressing and brining.

Or just leave it to see what come of it all. All part of the anticipation involved with cheesemaking!!

I wanted to make a white stilton, so I'd be interested to know how you get on with this.

Regards,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat