Page 1 of 1

Choosing the right mould

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:55 am
by Richierich
I am talking about what you put the cheese in, not what you put in the cheese.

Having now got a relatively succesful method of keeping a fridge at a set temp and humidity I think it's time to go cheesey again. Looking through ascotts the other day at moulds it is not easy to see exactly what they are offering, can anyone make recommendations on the bests place to get moulds and any suggestions for sizes etc suitable for stilton & brie.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 pm
by BlueCheese
Well I found local supermarket the best place to get molds. A cake pan if your doing brie/camembert . Something tall 2 to 1 for a stilton and something 1 to 1 ratio for other cheeses. Its up to u what u like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:38 pm
by Richierich
I have seen a few moulds around with holes drilled in the side etc. is it fair to say these are really only for hard cheeses that require pressing, or are they useful for all cheeses?

In the past I used a coke bottle with the top and bottom cut off, and a few holes in the side. Most ones I have seen for tend to have bottoms in and in some cases are tapered, which would make turning interesting.

Might buy a selection of moulds and see how I get on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:44 pm
by BlueCheese
small holes in the sides are useful all round since they allow more moisture to drain, so if u can pop holes in them then great!.
I have even debated on getting 2 cake pans (spring forms) and mount them so their taller.