Type II Diabetes

Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Diabetic, Coeliac or any other Special Diet or Food Intolerance General Chat

Postby saucisson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:11 pm

Oddley wrote:If anybody makes that recipe, I would be very interested in the outcome. I think it would be totally different to the pork recipe.

I'll let you know... Anyone got any ideas on a substitute for caul fat if I can't find any?
saucisson
Site Admin

Dietary Chat

Postby panther » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Some of the recipes I researched for the pork-based faggots recommended the use of bacon to wrap instead of caul. Haven't tried it myself, I just make the meat into balls and cook them on a bun/cake tray. They retain their shape fairly well and cook quicker than a solid cake style, and the fat is retained in the bottom of the faggot, so is quite moist
What is the answer - that is the question
panther
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Nice idea about bacon, thanks

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Rivermute » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:05 am

Ok.. for starters let me say I have always been envious of the British when it comes to swearing.. you guys have a real art form over there :P

Secondly this one is for Iamarealbigdog

If you are interested in Roobois stay away from that gross Liptons crap.. they put all sorts of vanilla and spices in it that kind of make you think your drinking Gingerbread man vomit.. If you can't find the pure stuff try out Celestial Seasonings Moroccan Red. Its a Roobois/Pomegranate mix that really isn't to bad. I had to cut down on caffeine as well as cholesterol, sugar, salt so after I put down the noose and wobbly bench started trying out some alternatives. Teas really do seem to make a huge difference.
Rivermute
Registered Member

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:20 am

My kid has found of love of loose leaf tea, we have green, white, black, and some real fruity stuff that looks like a potpourri. I have to say I like a nice earl grey with just a spot of milk, it�s a comfort thing.

I have just found a new tea shop in London and will stop in one day to get some more of this exotic stuff�
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

type 1

Postby DARK_LORD » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Us Diabetics are all the same, type 1 or type 2� Oddley�s right, about being diabetic, He�s hit the nail on the head by saying �If you do everything they say, you are not living life, you are just existing.�
If you think metformin dreams are weird, you should have a fully blown diabetic hypo (type 1)� I just exist, but you can still find time to laugh,
IE. (Joke)

Before I became Diabetic, I thought Sugar Diabetes, Was a Welsh bantam weight Boxer. Ha Ha Lol

If anyone has a better joke� Please let me know?

But seriously good luck with it, if you need any advice you can always go to the Diabetic homepage http://www.diabetes.org.uk/
:twisted:
I Am The DARK_LORD... Fear Me... Ha Ha Lol... PS And My Sausages xXx
DARK_LORD
Registered Member

Re: type 1

Postby saucisson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:49 pm

DARK_LORD wrote:Us Diabetics are all the same, type 1 or type 2�

No we're not...

(cue: Monty Python arguement sketch)

:lol:

But seriously, they are different, are they not?

I can skip around my type 2 by being careful so the insulin I produce does something useful.

Type 1 you don't make insulin, so it's a different kettle of fish all together...

isn't it?

Dave (more than happy to be wrong :D )
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Gordon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:50 am

Anyone tried Xylitol as a sugar substitute ?
See their home page at http://www.xylitoluk.co.uk/

I am wondering if it is anygood for curing as well as cooking. I know about it's apparently legendary laxative effect ( married to Metformin they should go through you like a Ferrari on a mission that would be quite an experience !!! Detox or what )
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:51 am

Sugar is added to a cure mix not only to balance the saltiness, but sometimes also to boost the sugar content of the meat and kick start the useful bacteria into life to out compete the nasties, particularly in a fermented product, I'm assuming this sugar is non-fermentable so might not have that effect. In a product that can be cured just with salt, where the sugar is added just for flavour it would probably be OK, but it might be worth looking into a bit more.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Absoluteherb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed and restricted from dairy amongst other things Saucisson. You should not be worried about your restrictions. Go in for Herbal Products and see your physician one month latter. Make all your friends know and enjoy this gift of nature.
Absoluteherb
Registered Member

Postby Dorothy06 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:19 am

saucisson wrote:Thanks Oddley, I see the diabetic nurse tomorrow for a chat about diets so if I have any questions I'll be in touch.

All the best,

Dave

Hello Dave... Good luck on your appointment. Can you share what will be happen on that day when you see the diabetic nurse?

Postby saucisson » Wed May 27, 2009 11:10 am

that was a year ago Dorothy, apparently my diet was fine :lol:

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Join the club Dave :cry: i was diagnosed about 3-4 years ago with T2 after alot of illness, ive just started using byetta now along with metformin, and have got rid of two other nasty drugs ,simvastin and avandia, one will cause alot of pain the other will kill yer if you have a heart attack :shock: why they use them i have no idea, certainly felling more human since coming off them, but i do have other phsyical and health problems to contend with :?
some people seem to look at T2 as a minor illness ,but it aint, the consequences of being nieve with your illness could be dyer, so take care of yer self :D :wink:
tinca
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:44 pm

I am also currently on Byetta exenatide. Although it has helped me lose over a stone, it has doubled my sugar glucose. When I go this tuesday I will tell her to put me on insulin injections.. The Byetta exenatide played my guts up a bit.. frightened to go outside the door. It also quells my appetite (hence the weight loss) and I no longer enjoy alcohol... It doesn't make you feel quite as 'spewy' as the pioglitazones..
Its a pity that most of the tablets I take are weight retentative, cos now I don't even bother to exercise..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:46 pm

Paul Kribs wrote:I am also currently on Byetta exenatide. Although it has helped me lose over a stone, it has doubled my sugar glucose. When I go this tuesday I will tell her to put me on insulin injections.. The Byetta exenatide played my guts up a bit.. frightened to go outside the door. It also quells my appetite (hence the weight loss) and I no longer enjoy alcohol... It doesn't make you feel quite as 'spewy' as the pioglitazones..
Its a pity that most of the tablets I take are weight retentative, cos now I don't even bother to exercise..

Regards, Paul Kribs

When i went on byetta a month ago , i was told about the sickness as a side effect , but i have had any, ive lost 2kg in an month and the glucose levels arnt bad but i would like them down a couple of points ,between 6-8 2hours after meals, going onto the 10ug byetta and slow release metformin this week, like you it does make you feel full up quicker, but not sure wether that will last :lol: i dont exersise as ive got two new hips and arthritus in my legs and coupled with back problems add ashtma it aint fun, i was suffering from ibs alot , but the byetta and coming off of the other drugs has seemed to have settled that down abit, but did have a few bouts of gout in my right foot, which i havnt had for a long while now as i hardly drink at all :cry: although id id have a few bevies the other day which was not a good idea, felt really piddled and my head ,well it felt like some one had hit it with a sledge hammer, sugar levels tooooo high :( Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Dietary Chat