Really hot chili peppers

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Really hot chili peppers

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:43 am

Looks like a new record has been found in India...
http://www.nmsu.edu/~ucomm/Releases/2007/february/hottest_chile.htm
I like hot stuff, but I don't think that I'll be ordering any. :!:
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby roseway » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:54 am

That article doesn't get the story quite right. The previous hottest chili was grown in Dorset, England (believe it or not): see http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 700700.ece

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby johnc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Wow, looks like just what I need to take off the bathroom wallpaper :!:

�It has a refreshing smell and a very good taste but you don�t want too much of it. It is a killer chilli and you have to be careful and wash your hands and the cutting board. If you don�t know what you are doing it could blow your head off.�

I've been growing Habaneros and Arbol chili (Cayenne) for years but nothing like that. My first crop of Habaneros last year were yellow and bland. I added some bonemeal and tomato juice to the soil around the plant and the second crop bloomed bright red and were extremely hot. I make a salsa Mexican style by grinding and then reducing in olive oil, until all the water is gone. This particular batch I had to open all the doors in the house to ventilate as the fumes were too acrid :shock:
It looks like one of my Arbol plants has survived the winter and is now in bloom again.
By the way, I find Habanero goes very well with Sage and in small quantity (about half a small one per kilo of meat) adds a nice kick to a Lincolnshire sausage.
johnc
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:25 pm

HI, I too grow Habaneros (well the Jamaican equivalent - Scotch Bonnet) Mine too are usually yellow. I'm interested to know why you added tomato juice to the plants. Is it this which is responsible for the change in the peppers' colour?
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:30 pm

I grew habenaro's only once they were too hot to do anything with. I put 2 into a big pot of Jambalaya and it was so hot I couldn't eat it. And I do love hot things. I started them from seed that I ordered from Stokes seeds. I started them in my green house and then moved them into the garden, that fall I moved one of the plants into a big container indoors, and kept it as a house plant all winter. The following spring I put it in my green house and kept it there all summer. I had loads of red peppers on it and were they ever hot. Too hot!
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:13 pm

roseway wrote:That article doesn't get the story quite right. The previous hottest chili was grown in Dorset, England (believe it or not): see http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 700700.ece

Eric

Maybe the Dorest chilis aren't quite what they seem? Have a look at the date of the article :shock:

Lemon
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby johnc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:18 am

Hobbitfeet wrote:HI, I too grow Habaneros (well the Jamaican equivalent - Scotch Bonnet) Mine too are usually yellow. I'm interested to know why you added tomato juice to the plants. Is it this which is responsible for the change in the peppers' colour?

I just figured there was something missing in the soil and heard the red ones were the hottest so added what I thought would fix it and it seemed to work
johnc
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:26 am

It's amazing the variances in what is considered fact.

Everything I've ever read on the heat of peppers placed the jalapeno at around 30,000 Scoville units and the Habanero at around 300,000. I think these articles are referring to the new wimpy jalapeno that's been developed for mass consumption when they rate it at 2,500-10,000 SU

I read several news articles about the Dorset Naga last year, but then this "expert" from New Mexico State U. doesn't even acknowledge it's existence.

Be skeptical about what you read.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:30 am

lemonD wrote:Maybe the Dorest chilis aren't quite what they seem? Have a look at the date of the article :shock:

Lemon

Not everything written on April 1st is an April fool joke. The Dorset Naga is a seriously hot reality.

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:08 pm

I think all these varieties will turn out to be very similar, they seem to have a slight name variation from different areas of India, I am currently growing the Original Dorset Naga, plus the Bih Jolokia and the Bhut Jolokia, but expect I wont be able to tell the difference in them, but at those sort of heats does it really matter, the only thing about these Nagas is they do have a very distinctive taste and smell to them, and more and more Naga curries are now turning up in Indian restaurants. We currently have a Doset Naga chilli jelly for sale which is our hottest product, but even that is toned down a little as they are viciously hot.
Wilf
Registered Member

Return to Grow your own