Memphis Dry Rub for Pork (Oven)

Postby vagreys » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:10 pm

grisell wrote:Hmmm... :? Temperature around boiling point, moisture, long time, internal temperature of 82 C...

When I went to catering school, we called that braising. In this case I could just use a cast iron pot with a little liquid and lid on, or...? That'd be much more practical, but then I wouldn't call it barbecue. What's the difference then between this bbq method and braising? :?

As salumi512 points out, this oven technique isn't barbeque, but it is a close approximation and turns out good ribs, regardless. The low and slow technique, uncovered, without water, is the way I do ribs on the smoker, too, but the gasses from the wood and charcoal, and the smoke, make a significant difference in the end product. I use a horizontal smoker with an offset firebox, and my ribs remain juicy throughout.

I think the difference, André, is that the braising is occurring from the inside, while the outside cooks with dry heat, giving a baked/roasted exterior texture and flavor combined with a tender, juicy interior. This is very different than cooking ribs in braising liquid under cover, where the exterior steams and the chemistry of the braising liquid may actually draw moisture and fat out of the meat, making it dry inside, for all that it was cooked in liquid. I've had great braised ribs, but I would consider that a completely different dish than ribs baked low and slow in the oven, or hot smoked low and slow in a smoker.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Previous

Return to rubs, marinades and brines