Clarification on cure amounts?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Clarification on cure amounts?

Postby ped » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi there, have just asked this question on the original thread 'Oddleys Salt beef' but thought it might be better to start afresh, sorry!,
In Oddleys recipe he quotes the following : 1.275 % Cure #1 (75 ppm).15 % Saltpetre (150 ppm) how does this translate if, as I understand it, cure #1 is 150ppm? should I alter anything to accomodate the difference or perhaps just use cure#2? but how much in this case should I use instead of cure#1 and saltpetre?

Oddleys recipe, quote:
I have a great recipe using a combination of pump and dry rub. I'll post it for you but I formulate and keep my recipes in percent format for batch conversion for any size meat.

Quote:
My Corned beef

To be pumped at 10% of meat weight

Ingredient

% Percent
76.075 % water
15 % Sea Salt
7.5 % Sugar
1.275 % Cure #1 (75 ppm)
0.15 % Saltpetre (150 ppm)

Bring to the boil the water in a large saucepan add all the ingredients except the cure #1 and saltpetre. Stir well over a low heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved allow to boil for 1-2 minutes, remove from the heat, cool completely. Then add Cure #1 and saltpetre, stir until completely dissolved.

Insoluble ingredients for brine: Usage 2.2 % of brine
Ingredients

% Percent
2.8409 % Black peppercorns
4.4318 % Juniper berries
1.7045 % cloves
1.7045 % whole Coriander seeds
89.3182 % bunch parsley stalks

Dry cure

Of meat weight

% Percent
1.5% Salt
0.75% Sugar
0.1274 % Cure #1 (75 ppm)
0.015% Saltpetre (150 ppm)

Pump meat at 10% meat weight. Then rub outside of meat with the dry cure. Vac pack or put into a zip lock bag for about 10 days. Then cook or freeze.

Pressure cooker Method

Bring enough water to boil to reach the trivet plate. Put the corned beef in the pressure cooker on the trivet. Put the lid on and bring the pressure cooker up to the 2nd ring 15 psi for 1 hour. let pressure natrually reduce.

Pot Method

Cover the meat with water and add the Cooking ingredients, bring to the boil. Simmer until internal tempreture reaches 74�C.

Cooking ingredients

boquet garni
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1 garlic bulb, cut in half across middle
ped
Registered Member

Postby ped » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:48 pm

OK so I've re-read some reference material half a dozen times and think I understand it a little bit more!! ( not very good at this stuff :( ), if I add more cure#1 it will increase the ppm but that is irrelevant because the weight quoted amounts to 75ppm as does the saltpetre 150ppm and that is what is needed for this recipe so I will just go ahead as is, but if anyone sees a flaw in my assumption I would appreciate the feedback

Many thanks
ped
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:39 pm

wheels wrote:It adds half the cure by way of injection and half by dry cure. Therefore, the total will be 75ppm x 2 = 150ppm (mg/kg) Nitrite.

The nitrate will be 150ppm x 2 = 300ppm (the previous EU limit). To cure to current EU standards you will need to halve this.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Recipes for cured meats