ISO: Oddley

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby Franco » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:17 pm

When I first gave my manufacturer the quantities for Cure 1 and 2 I gave the following amounts:

Prague 1
1 pound salt, 1 ounce sodium nitrite

Prague 2

1 pound salt, 1 ounce sodium nitrite, 0.64 ounce sodium nitrate. I didn't have the percentages but these amounts are the US standard and the manufacturer worked out the percentages according to these figures.

In all my books on curing the amounts are always quoted this way.

There does apperar to be some confusion as the Allied Kenco site in the US(probably the biggest buthcer's supply store over there) lists Prague 1 ingredients as a percentage but quotes the Prague 2 ingredients as fractions...which is right???

from Allied Kenco's website:

Prague Powder #1: Also called Insta-Cure and Modern Cure.

This cure is sodium nitrite (6.25 %) mixed with salt (93.75 % ) As the meat temperate rises during processing, the sodium nitrite changes to nitric oxide and starts to 'gas out' at about 130 � F. After the smoking /cooking process is complete only about 10-20 % of the original nitrite remains. As the product is stored and later reheated for consumption, the decline of nitrite continues. Use 1 oz. for 25 lb. of meat or 1 level teaspoon of cure for 5lb. of meat. Mix cure with cold water.

Prague Powder #2:

Used with dry-cured products. Has 1 oz. of sodium nitrite with .64 oz. of sodium nitrate to each lb. of salt. Use with products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. This cure, which is sodium nitrate, acts like a time release, slowing breaking down into sodium nitrite, then into nitric oxide. This allows you to dry cure products that take much longer to cure. (A cure with sodium nitrite would dissipate too quickly.)

Use 1 oz. of cure for 25 lbs. of meat or 1 level teaspoon

I can easily have the formulations changed if neccesary by my supplier if we can find the definitive answer.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:21 am

The Information on allied kenco is wrong. I will try to prove this with some simple percentage calculations. If you see any mistakes in my logic please post it.

Allied Kenco wrote:Prague Powder #1 This cure is 1 part sodium nitrite (6.25%) and 16 parts salt (93.75%) and are combined and crystallized to assure even distribution.

If you accept that 16 parts salt = 16 oz salt & 1 part sodium nitrite = 1 oz Then:

I wrote:--------------To Percent Weight * 100
Nitrite = -----------------------------------
-------------------Total Weight

-------------------1 * 100
Nitrite = -------------------- = 5.8824%

------------To Percent Weight * 100
Salt = -----------------------------------
-----------------Total Weight

-------------16 * 100
Salt = -------------------- = 94.1176%

With salt at 94.1176% And sodium nitrite at 5.8824% This proves the info on allied kenco is wrong for cure #1

Allied Kenco wrote: Prague powder #2 is a mixture of 1 part sodium nitrite, .64 parts sodium nitrate and 16 parts salt. (1 oz. of sodium nitrite with .64 oz. of sodium nitrate to each lb. of salt.)

Total parts = 17.64

I wrote:--------------To Percent Weight * 100
Nitrite = -----------------------------------

-------------------1 * 100
Nitrite = -------------------- = 5.6689%

--------------To Percent Weight * 100
Nitrate = -----------------------------------

-------------------0.64 * 100
Nitrate = -------------------- = 3.6281%

------------To Percent Weight * 100
Salt = -----------------------------------

-----------------Total Weight

--------------16 * 100
Salt = -------------------- = 90.7029%

With salt at 90.7029%, sodium nitrite at 5.6689% and sodium nitrate at 3.6281%. Allied kenco is again wrong.

Len Poli wrote:Cure #1 contains 6.25% Sodium nitrite; 93.75% Salt (for fresh and cooked sausages)
Cure #2 contains 6.25% Sodium nitrite; 4% Sodium nitrate and 89.75% Salt (for dry-cured sausages)

Here is a breakdown of the American cures as you can see this fits in with what Len is saying, Do the calcs from above with the figures below to prove it yourself.

Cure#1 93.75 % Salt, 6.25% Nitrite
Cure #1 15 oz salt, 1 oz Nitrite.

Cure#2 89.75% Salt, 6.25% Nitrite, 4% Nitrate
Cure #2 14.36 oz Salt, 1 oz Nitrite, 0.64 oz Nitrate.

For me, I don't care what amounts you use because, I can work out the amount, I would like to use. But what is absolutely vital is, you tell us what amounts you decide to use, as when working on the limits, it is vital to know.

Please tell us if you change the cures.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:38 am

Thanks Oddley,

I still have around 40 kilos of each of the cures left which should last until Christmas, after that I will adopt the percentage calculations and forward these to my supplier and post here and on the home page.

Regards

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats