Casings Question

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Casings Question

Postby deb » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:51 pm

Now the weather has gotten cooler I'm giving some dried cured products a go - started the Parma-style ham yesterday.

I was looking at Spuddy's " basic dried sausage recipe" and am going to give this a try next but would like to ask a question with regard to the casings. I realise that Ox Runners are usually used for Salami-type sausages but I only have Sheep and Hog casings at the moment. I really don't want to buy the Ox runners until I am satisfied I will keep making Salami-type sausages, so can I use the Hog casings just to try it out?

Thanks.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:55 pm

I don't see why not, I only have Hog and Sheep casings as well, so will experiment with a few chorizo in hog casings, will probably dry quicker as they are thinner

I have nearly finished my Parma Ham style loin of pork, worked very well for only 1 kilo piece, have just a small piece left in the fridge which looks very authentic now with a dusty white mould on the side........tastes good
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:42 pm

deb

That advice is good.. hogs casings can be used and will take less time to cure. As for the parma style cure, I take it Franco or Steph managed to sort you out a garlic free cure. I have acquired some runners and intend to get some salami on the go in the next week or so.
My boned leg of Parma style ham is due to be ready this weekend, when I shall carve some. I have already had a sneak preview with a piece of the extremity and it tastes beautiful. I will of course post some pics and opinions on here. Just like Wilf it has acquired a layer of white mould and what appears to be salt crystals. It has only just stopped dripping its juice about 4 days ago.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby deb » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:19 pm

Thanks guys I'll give the Hog casings a whirl. I intend to add some additional flavourings to the basic recipe to make two different sausages, a Salami-style and a Chorizo-style (obviously NO GARLIC!!).

Luckily Fronco and Steph sorted out garlic free cure for the Parma ham. I've only just started it so still a long wait :( . Once the ham has dried and is ready to eat how is it best stored? It's not a massive bit by any means but I don't expect it'll get eaten in too much of a hurry so will need to be kept for a while. Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats