My first Virginian Ham attempt - Advice needed...

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

My first Virginian Ham attempt - Advice needed...

Postby ExpatCanadian » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:54 pm

Hello all... this is my first post on this site, but I've been in the smoking/curing/sausagemaking world for some time and my usual haunt is the Bradley Smoker forum.

I'm posting because it looks like there are a lot a people on here with significant dry cured ham experience. I'm about 3 weeks into a 5(ish) week curing phase of my first dry cured ham, and I'm following a recipe/technique published by the Virginia Cooperative Extension (http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/458/458-223/458-223.html). Rather than go into all the details again here, here is a link to my detailed post from the Bradley forum: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=30421.0.

Basically, to summarise my situation... the salt/sugar/saltpetre mix was weighed as per the recipe based on the weight of my ham. It was then applied in 3 batches, 1/2 at the start, 1/4 4 days later then the final quarter at day 7. After each application, within a day or so, the surface of the meat appears moist but salt free again... so it's definately doing it's job pulling moisture out and and diffusing salt/cure into the meat. However, although I've used the exact amounts specified, I'm wondering if I should be "topping up" the salt every so often to keep the meat & skin covered with at least with a thin layer until the curing phase is done?

Thanks for your time... and I look forward to spending more time on here!
ExpatCanadian
Newly Registered

Postby captain wassname » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 pm

hello and welcome.
Not my field but I can tell you that 40F is a bit cold for salt petre between 5 and 6C

Jim
Last edited by captain wassname on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Re: My first Virginian Ham attempt - Advice needed...

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:47 pm

ExpatCanadian wrote:I'm wondering if I should be "topping up" the salt every so often to keep the meat & skin covered with at least with a thin layer until the curing phase is done?

As long as you did a good job at the start, there's no need to continue salting.
A high level of salt is important initially and becomes less and less important the farther along you go in the curing process.
What's most important is getting a lot of salt on and around the exposed bone initially and with the subsequent saltings.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D I can't speak from experience, but the liquid on the outside of the ham is probably saturated with salt and should still be protective. Please post back with further updates.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ExpatCanadian » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks for your replies. Just needed the reassurance to sit tight and trust the process. I'll update when the cure is finished and I move on to equalisation and smoking.
ExpatCanadian
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:55 pm

It's interesting to note that the level of saltpetre used is far in excess of that allowed commercially in the UK. The US rules allow these levels, presumably to accommodate the curing of this product which requires protection for such a long time.

I don't see the level used as an issue, that's how these hams are made - I mention it purely out of interest.

I look forward to following the progress of your ham.

Phil :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Yet saltpeter is optional.....go figure!!!! :D

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:56 pm

or use nitrite

Jim
now merely fat