Oddley's dry cure bacon.

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby warston » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:02 pm

thanks for those posts , it answered partially the topic i created about the nitrate breaking down ..
warston
Registered Member

Postby warston » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Salmo wrote:I knew I'd seen it somewhere :)

Researchers at the USDA's Agricultural Research Service (ARS) found that the addition of vitamin C (also known as ascorbate) and vitamin E (also known as tocopherol) reduced the levels of nitrosamines in fried bacon and in nitrite-cured products. The findings led to changes in Federal regulations and industry processing to minimize consumer exposure to nitrosamines. USDA now requires adding 550 ppm (parts per million) of either sodium ascorbate or sodium erythorbate to pumped bacon. This addition greatly reduces the amount of free nitrite and, thus, minimizes the formation of nitrosamines. This regulation is found in 9 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 424.22 (b)(1).

If I read this correctly it is a legal requirement,in the USA, that "pumped" bacon has Vitamin C or E added.
I wonder if dry cure bacon in the USA doesn't require it,& if so,why not?

exactly what i read from 3 months ago ! so adding the Vitamin C prevent the formation of nitrosamines by the nitrite, but the question is does it prevent the formation of the nitrosamines that comes out of the breaking down of the nitrAte under a high fire up to 140 F ?
warston
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:46 pm

captain wassname wrote:I think that this is more likely when as BriCan says high cooking temps are involved.

If my memory serves me well (at my age they say its the first thing to go :shock: ) there is something in the FDA rules (which I believe is more up to date)that I read from another previous discussion somewhere

I am on a short time span as I am into the dreaded "haggis" season, it seems that there is a strict limit and a specific size that can be bagged :roll:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Vit C does not prevent anything it speeds up the process of curing in nitrite and nitrate.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:01 pm

To add to a couple of things raised in the last few posts:

550 ppm sodium ascorbate or sodium erythorbate (isoascorbate), ingoing, is only required in pumped and massaged bacon. It is not listed as a requirement for immersed or dry cure bacon in the FSIS Food Inspectors Handbook.

One of the problems with nitrate is that it needs to react with bacteria in the meat to convert to nitrite. The conversion takes time and could be anywhere between 0% and 100%; it will vary with each piece of meat. Sodium ascorbate/erythorbate will speed the process by allowing a more rapid reduction of both nitrate and nitrite to nitric oxide.

There's a very good, and objective, article on nitrosamines here:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w00/nitrosamine.html

HTH
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Salmo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Cheers Phil,an interesting article.
As somebody who spent nearly 40 yrs in the chemical industry I'm sure I've already been exposed to far more dangerous chemicals than I'll ever get from a bacon sarny! :lol:
Give a man a fish,and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish,and you won't see him again for the rest of the season.
Salmo
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Right on, interesting discussion. I have never used any other preservatives than cure #1 for my bacon so you learn something new everyday.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 pm

I use cure #1 on it's own unless I'm going for something to keep a long time. However, some people also like the taste that saltpetre (nitrate) gives.

A lot of the commercial bacon in the UK still contains some form of nitrate.

Of ten selected at random at the UK food retailer Ocado's website, six contained nitrate in some form (2 sodium, 4 potassium). Only three out of these six contained sodium ascorbate.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats