Over salted tough hams

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Over salted tough hams

Postby pizzafarmchef » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Last year I salt cured mangalitz pork hams, they have hung for 14mths but still very tough and very salty. cant use as serrano anyone any suggestions for its use, dont want to waste it. HELP PLEASE :?:
pizzafarmchef
Newly Registered

Re: Over salted tough hams

Postby Oddwookiee » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Soak for a while, changing the water often. That should suck a lot of the salt out of it. 12 hour soak and change the water hourly to start, then see how it is. Repeat as necessary.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:55 pm

I assume it's quite dry.
You could cut it up and dry it further, grate it, and use it as salad topping, seasoning, etc.
Grated prosciutto can be quite awesome.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:56 pm

What I do with overdried biltong is to dry it to a crisp and vitamise it to a course powder and sprinkle it on a plate of pasta. Extremely nice.
Do the same with a small piece of your ham as a trial otherwise soaking is your only solution.
Good Luck,
Jan
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby zeno » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:25 pm

pizzafarmchef wrote:Last year I salt cured mangalitz pork hams, they have hung for 14mths but still very tough and very salty. cant use as serrano anyone any suggestions for its use, dont want to waste it. HELP PLEASE :?:

Soak it for 24 hours in sugar water. In fact you can do this with any over salted product. Ideally it would be better to mix the sugar with the initial cure. I did this with an over salted brisket only a month ago and it turned out fine.
zeno
zeno
Newly Registered

Return to Recipes for cured meats