Burger Ideas

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Burger Ideas

Postby ericrice » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:05 am

My wife and I do a 4th of July party each year (12th year this year). Anyone in the philly area feel free to P.M. me if you don't have plans, I promise you won't be disappointed. We get well over 100 folks and the staples over the years have been several smoked shoulders that become pulled pork (Carolina vinegar sauce for anyone wondering), burgers, dogs and home made pork roll. Wanted to mix it up this year a bit with the burgers and based on the number of burgers we make want something simple. Been kicking around mixing in sausage or bacon as many recipes call for but wanted to reach out to the group here for any other ideas. I have about 35 pounds of coppa left. Would it be a waste to mix that ground with some burgers? Would it lose the cured taste if cooked? Any ideas that are simple for mass quantities would be appreciated.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Burger Ideas

Postby BriCan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:41 am

ericrice wrote: Wanted to mix it up this year a bit with the burgers and based on the number of burgers we make want something simple. Been kicking around mixing in sausage

Burger is another name for a sausage without the casing ..... :?
or bacon as many recipes call for but wanted to reach out to the group here for any other ideas. I have about 35 pounds of coppa left. Would it be a waste to mix that ground with some burgers?

Pushing the envelope ... no ... I would give it a try ... just remember one thing .. decrease the amount of salt used in your spice mix (if adding bacon I will not add salt)

Would it lose the cured taste if cooked?

No (cured??)... it will take on the taste of the product
Any ideas that are simple for mass quantities would be appreciated.

Cheddar melts. Cordon blues.(simple but can be time consuming) Lamb burgers .... there's others :mrgreen:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Have to keep in mind the international audience here. Burgers here one assume beef burgers and that is what I wasreferring to.

So will look to try a batch of coppa/beef burgers as well as sausage burgers with either coppa or bacon mixed in.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 pm

I just finished up doing a cook off for Scouting (http://jott.org/) started out with 200 and escalated to just over 600 :shock:

I did them 575 bacon burgers and a further 25 bacon burgers gluten free along with 70 smokies :)

When I had the shop I would make the beef and bacon burgers up mixing my own spice combination but as the demand kept on growing I switched to a 'porterhouse steak spice (no salt)

The following was/is a base for most of the burgers that I developed which was along the lines of a 'hamburger' that I had in the late 60s in kings cross in suburbs of Sydney

26 lbs beef
5 lbs bacon

Spice combination

20g white pepper
20g nutmeg
5g ginger
10g sage

I also added 3/4 lb. of rusk and water as needed

Now to change the beef and bacon burger up we change one thing ... take out the bacon and add 1kg of grated cheddar cheese ... We mix the cheese in at the end by hand so that it is incorporated within the mix ... do not grind it into the mix .... now you have a cheddar melt

A 4oz or (as I use) a 6oz ice cream scoop (mechanical one) and a pattie press
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats