Black Forest Bacon Adventure Begins

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Black Forest Bacon Adventure Begins

Postby ComradeQ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:48 pm

I ordered some fresh Tamworth pork belly (streaky) as well as some good pork for english bacon. Since I have a week before I will be picking it all up I figured I had some time to solicit some input from the team here. I had in mind a black forest style bacon but for obvious reasons am hesitant to burn coniferous wood or needles in my smoker for fear of permanently tainting it. So, any suggestions for a recipe and smoke that would come close to mimicking a black forest ham recipe? I'm thinking something close to a black treacle bacon might work with juniper and garlic? I don't have a source of fresh blood so I would not be able to use that to acquire a dark surface, hence the use of treacle to accomplish that? After smoking I would hang in my chamber to dry for a week or so. Suggestions and help is greatly appreciated!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Re: Black Forest Bacon Adventure Begins

Postby BriCan » Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 am

Would this help?

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JasonC » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:39 am

Brian - Is the recipe for the bacon shown somewhere in the forum? If so, please let me know what you called it and I'll find it.
Also, thanks for all the great recipes and information - Priceless stuff
JasonC
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:37 am

I have been swamped all year with work and never did start this (ended up using the bellies for regular maple bacon) so ... called up my supplier and got a couple of whole pork bellies ordered. Now, time to figure out a decent recipe ... Brican, any suggestions would help! :)

P.S. Those look amazing! Was it just molasses/treacle that got that dark exterior?

P.P.S Sorry I have neglected my post, I need to correct that oversight!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:12 am

Bacon is all done. Did some maple, some honey, the black forest style, and some english rashers (and pancetta too but saved that for another post) :)

For the black forest I combined juniper berries, coriander, black pepper, bay leaves, garlic and molasses along with the obligatory salt/sugar/cure. Double smoked with apple and a little cherry wood and dried for a week. Will slice up and package this weekend and update with exact quantities if it passes my taste test. Not exactly authentic but as close as I can get to mimic the taste I was going for ... I hope!

ComradeQ
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats