The Parma Ham Cure ??

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

The Parma Ham Cure ??

Postby deb » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:13 pm

I bought some of the Parma Ham cure and cured a piece of pork. It now seems to have done it's "stuff" but, I don't think I'm an Air-Dried Ham person. I don't like it. I'm sure it's just me as many others on here have used this cure and been very happy with the results.

To the crux of the matter. Can I use this cure, preferably as a brine but dry rub would be o.k., to make a ham for boiling?
If so any idea how much to volume of water and weight of meat? Also would I need to leave the meat AFTER the brining phase. I ask as due to an earlier try at brine curing it came to light that using saltpetre OR cure#2 on it's own will take longer to work than if cure#1 is used - some advice on this would be much appreciated (I don't fancy wasting another piece of pork).

Thanks.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:09 pm

deb

Your Parma is not wasted, you can cook with it. If you butterfly some chicken breasts and stuff them, then wrap the thinly sliced Parma around the outside and sear all round in a hot pan with a little bit of oil, then transfer to the oven and cook at 180� - 190� for about 20 - 25 mins, you will find the ham contributes very well to the stuffed breasts, with the flavour more like a mild bacon.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats