Another question on brisket....

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby Wohoki » Thu May 25, 2006 2:20 pm

It's called corned beef because the salt is added in the form of largeish granules, about the size of a grain of wheat.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Thu May 25, 2006 3:05 pm

Before today I had never associated corned beef (Fray Bentos variety) with salt beef (Jewish sandwich bar vaiety).

Since my previous post I've been looking at the thousands of web sites on this subject and although they are theoretically the same thing, I find it hard to recocile the two tastes. I guess it's much like the difference between shop bought and home produced sausages.

My husband is particularly fond of cow pie (the only use I make of tinned corned beef) so if I can use home made corned/salt beef in the same way, I'll definitely try my own.

I need to know if it is important to have some fat on the meat? One rarely sees fat on beef here - I believe that is mainly because the animals are slaughtered at a young age, hence the beef is usually tough and often tasteless. However, friends are often blackmailed into bringing me a few essentials in their luggage and a nice bit of beef is always possible. Just in case, is brisket the best cut to use or should I try something else?
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu May 25, 2006 3:42 pm

I think brisket is traditional, but there shouldn't be any problem salting any cut as long as it isn't a huge thick chunk. You have to give the brine half a chance to do it's job, so cut the meat to size. Brisket thickness is ideal I would think. Bones must come out of course. I don't think fat is too important here. It's going to be boiled so the fat wont contribute much in the cooking, but if it's to be pressed and served cold, a rim of fat can look nice when carved.

I suppose it's one of the few ways to preserve meat that satisfies the Kosher rules (obviously no bacon and ham), so kosher salt beef has become a work of art and you automatically associated it with the jewish sandwich bar, I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't rave over their first taste of a salt beef sandwich. I don't remember being given it cold as a kid, but there were some handsome stews and casseroles with it. It was always treated as something 'special'.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu May 25, 2006 4:21 pm

When I made it I used silverside, as there was a 'deal' on it at the local Co-op..
It came out very nicely.

Apologies for the blurry picture. I did post it here on another thread, but can't seem to find it now.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu May 25, 2006 5:17 pm

That really does look the dogs Paul. I can even smell it!
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu May 25, 2006 5:36 pm

Found the other thread now :oops:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1100&highlight=corned+beef

Ain't it always the way..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Fri May 26, 2006 3:26 pm

Hi Paul,

Very nice Corned Beef. Been attempting corned beef for over a year but it turns out a bit dry. Do you roll yours during curing or until cooking?

Thanks,

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Fri May 26, 2006 3:45 pm

I did a bit of 1 kg bit of brisket recently.

40gr salt
3.33gr cure #1
25gr sugar
5 juniper berries
3 bay leaves
Some nutmeg (just grated a bit in there)
A teaspoon of black peppercorns crushed

Stuck it in a bag and put it in the fridge for maybe 8 days.

Once cured I simmered for 3 hours and it was great (even if I do say so myself). I should've taken photos really but instead I ate it. The kilo lasted all of about 15 hours and I was asleep for 8 of those. It was all eaten in bagels with mustard and gherkins.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri May 26, 2006 3:53 pm

David

I have replied on the other thread, rolled prior to curing..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Mon May 29, 2006 2:17 pm

Thanks Paul. Sorry I missed your other posting.

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 29, 2006 3:17 pm

Wohoki wrote:Salt beef is not even vaguely just a Kosher dish. Ever heard of boiled beef and carrots? Spiced beef? Until the advent of cheap fridges ALL beef was either used fresh (within a month of slaughter) or it went in the brine barrel.

Of course it's not a Kosher invention, but they seem to have cornered the market in it in the UK and apparently the USA.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats