Another question on brisket....

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Another question on brisket....

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:41 am

I bought a piece of brisket and unrolled it and trimmed it of any fat,

Now I wondered if I could use Franco No 1 cure that I use for my bacon
to cure this 3 lb piece of brisket and them slow boil it to make a type of pastrami.

I suppose I should add a few bits and p[ieces to the No1 cure such as juniper berries and or nutmeg or mace with a couple of bay leaves thrown in or would they be advisable in the boiling ?

Any further ideas on this please....all I want is some tasty salty spicey beef for sandwiches.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby phillmypintpot » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:41 am

Hi Rik, I'm sure any recipe you use sucessfully for pork will work on brisket.

I've done some using Franco's bacon cure, with the addition of herbs and spices.

Try adding your herbs and spices at the curing stage and then you could cut a small piece off, cook it, taste it.

If it is to your taste, just cook the rest of it. If not, then cook it with additional herbs and spices.
string is a very important thing,
rope is thicker but string is quicker.
phillmypintpot
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:43 am

A good idea.......cheers.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Re: Another question on brisket....

Postby pokerpete » Thu May 25, 2006 12:42 am

Rik vonTrense wrote:I bought a piece of brisket and unrolled it and trimmed it of any fat,

Now I wondered if I could use Franco No 1 cure that I use for my bacon
to cure this 3 lb piece of brisket and them slow boil it to make a type of pastrami.

I suppose I should add a few bits and p[ieces to the No1 cure such as juniper berries and or nutmeg or mace with a couple of bay leaves thrown in or would they be advisable in the boiling ?

Any further ideas on this please....all I want is some tasty salty spicey beef for sandwiches.

Why not try a salt beef Kosher recipe?
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu May 25, 2006 4:41 am

A good idea have you got one then.......

Used to get hot salt beef sandwiches at a delicatessen in Stamford Hill every time we passed in the building trade............they were delish........

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Thu May 25, 2006 5:51 am

Hi Rik,

I boiled a piece of my Brisket Bacon (made using Franco's cure) just last month however I didn't add any extra spices! (just didn't think). What I think made a significant difference was pressing it after it had cooled in its own juices. I just used a large stainless steel tea mug (I drink large quantities of tea!) to contain the meat, an empty can as a plunger and a small woodworking clamp to add the pressure, I added some of the cooking stock to the container whilst adding the meat and just left it in the fridge overnight, it was delicious, with a texture which reminded me of the salt-beef of my youth and the flavour of spiceless pastrami! more experiments are being planned as soon as I return from Africa in three weeks time.
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu May 25, 2006 7:22 am

Richard I pressed mine between two plates after folding it in half.....

The salt beef sandwiches we used to get seemed to be rolled fore rib of beef which gave a good sized slice of hot beef,

I shall try a piece of forerib but what cure to use? Shall it be Franco's no 1
for a week and then nicely rolled and tied or a conventional brine ?

I still have my piece of Leg in Franco's no 1 which I modified by adding Juniper berries and cloves with some muscavado sugar as L had no black treacle.

I have not heard back from Franco on the composition of his cure as there are worries over the amount of nitrate/trites that will remain in the meat.

I forget how long it has been in cure will have to check back on the threads and my computer break down rather threw everything.

Will it matter if I go over the time schedule ?

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 am

Pokerpete,

I would also like to know how to make Kosher salt beef if you have the recipe.

Like Rik, I loved the hot salt beef sandwiches, which I used to get from Blooms in Whitechapel years ago. Nothing I've had since even comes close.
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu May 25, 2006 11:44 am

Try this

thefoody.com/meat/saltbeef.html

I had a jewish grandmother who did this sort of thing so well, but all her recipes were in her head, and she liked to preserve the 'mystery' of her cooking. She was one helluva cook though. Had I known, I would have followed her round the kitchen with a note pad.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby DarrellS » Thu May 25, 2006 12:02 pm

If corned beef and salt beef are the same, and you can get Moton's Tender Quick this is a good recipe. I usally cure a couple days longer than they say though.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/recip ... ecipeid=43

Regards,
Darrell
DarrellS
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Thu May 25, 2006 12:43 pm

Thank you Jenny for the link to salt beef. Have you actually tried it yourself? I think I'd like to try it but will have to get juniper berries first: I assume gin won't do :D ?

I've always been under the impression that salt beef was left in brine for a considerable time, am I getting confused with spiced beef?
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu May 25, 2006 1:33 pm

Yes, I have tried this one and it just delicious. I have memories of beef immersed in a large mixing bowl of brine, probably for a week. Then needing lots of soaking to get the excess salt out, before finally cooking with various potherbs. It was good, but this recipe is better. Today we can get away with less salt because of fridges and better containers to seal the meat. If something is sealed in a bag or a 'Tuppa ware' type box its so easy to turn over and coat the meat evenly. I suspect most salt beef sold today will use modern methods, but I suspect there is the odd traditionalist out there with a salt barrel. My brother is a Kosher butcher, next time I see him I'll ask.

If you have difficulty getting juniper berries or any necessary ingredients, PM me with your details and I'll send you some

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Thu May 25, 2006 1:45 pm

DarrellS wrote:If corned beef and salt beef are the same, and you can get Moton's Tender Quick this is a good recipe. I usally cure a couple days longer than they say though.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/recip ... ecipeid=43

Regards,
Darrell

Not as we know it Jim.
Our corned beef comes in tins, usually rom Brasil.
Salt beef is a Kosher product really.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu May 25, 2006 1:54 pm

Salt beef is not even vaguely just a Kosher dish. Ever heard of boiled beef and carrots? Spiced beef? Until the advent of cheap fridges ALL beef was either used fresh (within a month of slaughter) or it went in the brine barrel.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu May 25, 2006 2:15 pm

Corned beef is salt beef. Brazilians/Uraguyans always have a lot of beef on the hoof so it seemed a good idea to put it into tins, and the town of Fray Bentos became a centre for this in the early days. The first world war boosted sales for 'bully beef' and the industry took off. Now it's a major part of the canning industry in Brazil, mostly for export though. When I lived there I never met any one who'd eaten it, but then if you saw the abundance of fresh meat in the butchers there you'd understand why!

Fray Bentos (Father Bentos) was a priest who founded the town.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Next

Return to Recipes for cured meats