shoulder

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon May 08, 2006 6:32 pm

In Tesco you can get Turkey drumsticks for 99p each and there is a awful lot of meat on a drumstick when it's boned and de tendoned..

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue May 09, 2006 7:08 am

I like the sound of those, Paul. I'll bookmark it for Christmas. Cheers :D

It'd be nice to bone out the crown with the skin intact and stuff with your recipe. It'd keep the breast nice and moist, and it might even give the bloody thing some flavour :D
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Tue May 09, 2006 11:30 am

I've always moaned about turkey having no flavour. This year though xmas was spent in Switzerland where I guess they have no particular turkey farming industry and the turkey sourced over there was so much tastier than anything I've eaten in the UK. I'd still take beef, duck or goose over it any day though. When I start doing xmas at my place it wil be a turkey free zone. It's not even traditional in this country (yet people always pull the tradition card with it) as it only started getting eaten around the 18th century, the forerib is a far more traditional xmas meal.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue May 09, 2006 11:46 am

I'm a rib man myself: we had a superb (modest to the last) roast for last Christmas.
The reason that turkey got the job was that when a middle-class developed in the UK in the 19thC they wanted to lay on a huge spread, but still couldn't afford to do it with duck, goose or beef; and a turkey, being a single-season crop, was both cheap and very large.
Anyone with taste will eat either goose, beef, or my favorite, a brace of Barbary ducks :P
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Wed May 10, 2006 2:27 pm

It always amazes me how quickly something can become traditional when it's quite clearly not.

It was interesting to find out that burkas aren't a traditional muslim item for women and their use only dates back maybe a century.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed May 10, 2006 5:32 pm

Aren't turkeys north American creatures?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Wed May 10, 2006 6:29 pm

Yup, but nothing else has the feed to weight-gain ratio that a turkey has, hence their ubiquety.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats