Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

capicolla

Postby jon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:38 pm

DOES anyone have a recipe for capicolla or brasola/typed that wrong. jon
team player
jon
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:27 pm

The first recipe is from Franco. The other two are .pdf's from Len Poli.

Franco wrote:Bresaola

Ingredients

3kg sirloin or topside
70 grammes sea salt
60 grammes sugar
10 grammes cure 2 (I sell this on my site)
8 grammes ground black pepper
4 grammes dried garlic
5 grammes mixed Italian herbs, rosemary, oregano etc..
10 juniper berries,crushed

method

1.Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2.Divide the mixture in 2
3.Rub half of the mixture into the beef making sure it penetrates all flaps etc.
4.Leave the beef for seven days sealed in a Ziploc bag or under vacuum.
5.After 7 days pour off any excess liquid and rub the second portion of the spice mix into the meat and reseal.
6.Leave for another 2 weeks in the bag and after that rinse the meat.
7.Put the meat into elastic netting and air dry for 6 hours in a warm room.
8. Hang the meat to mature for a minimum of 3 weeks.

Capocollo
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/coppa.pdf
    Bresaola
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/bresaola.pdf
Oddley
Registered Member

cure

Postby jon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:12 pm

than-you very much franco/ now the cure 1percent or 6.4 nitrate or yours is how much. thanx .jon from Canada
team player
jon
Registered Member

Postby Meat » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:29 pm

Can someone tell me where I will find the recipe for Cure #1 and Cure #2?

Also, can someone give me a hint of what 70-80% humidity is like? Is that a normal humidity? I'm trying to decide if I can hang this thing in my apartment.

Also, there's place near me that sells boned, trimmed and rolled butts:

Would this work well?

Thanks in advance.
Meat
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Meat wrote:Can someone tell me where I will find the recipe for Cure #1 and Cure #2?

Also, can someone give me a hint of what 70-80% humidity is like? Is that a normal humidity? I'm trying to decide if I can hang this thing in my apartment.

The point about the standardised cures is that you buy them ready mixed. (In the UK you can't buy Nitrite in pure form.) Its used in really tiny quantities - so tiny as to be hard to measure (and its a bit dangerous) - hence its sold diluted with salt and specially made with equal sized crystals to avoid "segregation" (different proportions of the mix at top and bottom of the packet).
The exact composition of "Prague Powders" (as these things are called in Europe) are discussed on this thread http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?p=8320

Now, how cold and damp is your apartment?
Is it in the basement?
You are aiming for a steady 60F (15C). And humid with it. Most people find 40 to 60% RH comfortable. I know NYC can be higher than that in Summer... Air conditioners usually dehumidify - but just cooling a sealed chamber actually *increases* its *relative* humidity ('cos its relative to how much moisture it could hold at that temperature) which is why in practice, you get condensation on the (even colder) chiller elements - drain off the condensation and you have dehumidification...
Oh, and BTW, light is bad, too. (So cold damp basements ain't too bad a starting point...)

You can find cheap mechanical, analogue humidity meters on eBay and in pet shops.
Digital thermometers with a humidity meter aren't expensive. But remote humidity sensors are much much much rarer than remote temperature sensors - and yes, rather more expensive. There's plenty products offering remote temperature but base-station-only humidity...
On this site you'll find recent discussions of using fridges as curing chambers and using wet salt to control humidity (*saturated* brine produces a 75% RH atmosphere). 60-70% is, I believe, the usually stated ideal - rather than 70-80% (which is close to encouraging bad hairy moulds).
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Meat » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Thanks. This is going to take some thought.
Meat
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats