Chorizo

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Chorizo

Postby wallie » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:26 am

If everyone is not too busy getting stuck into the remains of the turkey and xmas pudd, I have a question.
I made some Chorizo and the setup for my maturing process is a plastic dustbin with a large bowl of saline solution in the bottom and a small computer fan fixed inside with rails over the top to hang the sausage on.
I fitted a humidity and temperature indicator at the top.
The temperature has remained fairly constant at 60f and humidity between 70-76%.
Now after 17days it has lost 37% weight and has a fine pinhead covering of white mould.
My query is when do I stop the maturing process, do I wipe the mould off and how to store it.

Thanks
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby Kuma » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:35 pm

Sounds good Wallie.

Did your recipe suggest a target weight loss %? The amount of liquid you added will affect the target weight, generally you would look for 40%+ but I prefer nearer 50% (although I tend to be a bit heavy handed with the sherry).
If the mould looks OK then leave it for storage, you may prefer to remove it by wiping with an acid or saline liquid. I've been after some Penicillium nalgiovense for some time and may have found a supplier for the New Year, it would give you a profuse, fine white bloom.
I think your vac packer is the best option Wallie, although your drying environment seems like a good set up - it may benefit from a period of "resting" under vacuum to achieve a consistent distribution of moisture.
Kuma
Registered Member

Postby wallie » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks Kuma
After reading your reply I think I will wait till about 45% loss.
Would that be vac packing then into the freezer, or just into a fridg?
How is it kept commercially?

Thanks wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby Kuma » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi Wally

Fridge for weeks.
Freezer for months.

I don't know about commercial methods, I guess they don't want product "hanging around" for longer than necessary. They would have fantastic humidity and temperature controlled facilities. Shop bought are usually vac packed, open or wrapped in a breathable material - I think the main concerns are drying out too much or sweating.

If I have any unwrapped salami in the fridge, I try to use it within a couple of weeks or re vac it.
Kuma
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats