Confused with Cure recipes

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Confused with Cure recipes

Postby Fischer » Fri May 09, 2008 11:42 pm

Hi. I have accidentally found this site while i was trying to find recipes for various Cures. The matter is that i have spend the last 4 days checking all the posts here and i am extremely confused cause you have posted 5 recipes for Prague Powder #1, 4 for Cure#1, 5 for Cure #2 and 3 for Prague Powder #2. I would like to ask if someone is able to make a trustable and responsible answer for the above cures. I found so many and i am extremely confused :oops: My main goal is to make Parma Style Ham and not kill myself or my family. Thank you :)
Fischer
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat May 10, 2008 12:28 am

Fischer

I don't make Parma Ham (yet) but the simple answer to your question is that Cure #1 and Prague Powder #1 are effectively the same thing. Likewise Cure #2 and Prague Powder #2.
IMO For air dried meat Cure #2/Prague #2 is the way to go.
Cure #1 is a NitrIte salt that acts quickly. Cure #2 contains this Plus a NitAte salt that is slow release giving a longer term protection.
Other forums may advise using neither of these, but when 'playing' with raw pork you can't be too careful.
Hope this helps.
Phil
Last edited by wheels on Sun May 11, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fischer » Sat May 10, 2008 9:13 pm

So Wheels you are 100% positive that Cure #1 is Prague Powder #1 and Cure #2 is Prague Powder #2? And for my choice for Parma ham style bacon i will follow Cure #2 and Paul Kribs instructions. Does anyone has the exact percentage of the ingredients for those 2 Cures? Thank you and sorry for the childish questions:oops:
Fischer
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat May 10, 2008 11:54 pm

Fischer>
Yes, cure #1 is Prague powder #1 usually 6.25% NitrIte, the rest being salt. Franco's (from the main site) is 5.88% NitrIte so adjust accordingly.
I've got the figures somwhere for Cure/Prague #2 but don't use it preferring cure #1 and Saltpetre.
I've been out tonight so can't refer you to the threads on the forum referring to this, but I'm sure others may oblige.

From Wikipedia:
Prague powder #2 contains 1 ounce of sodium nitrite and 0.64 ounces sodium nitrate per pound of finished product (the remaining 14.36 ounces is sodium chloride) and is used for the preparation of Cured dry sausages.

This I think is:
6.25% sodium nitrite
4.00% sodium nitrate
89.75% salt

The difference in the % is because some seem to be calculated as 1lb salt plus the cure and others 1lb total salt and cure.

Hope this helps
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun May 11, 2008 7:54 am

Fischer wrote:And for my choice for Parma ham style bacon i will follow Cure #2 and Paul Kribs instructions.

Don't use the bacon instructions on my website when using cure #2, those instructions are for using the cure#1 based mixes sold through sausagemaking.org.. not Parma style ham.
I cannot see how you could have possibly misinterpreted the bacon instructions, I had always assumed they were very clear.
Fischer wrote:My main goal is to make Parma Style Ham

I think you need to use the search facility at the top of the page again and find the relevant threads dealing with air dried parma style hams, NOT dry cured bacon.. and read through them a few times and if it is still unclear, then post the relevant questions.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Fischer » Sun May 11, 2008 10:38 am

Obviously there was a misunderstanding. As i said,i have dozens of threads and they are so many that you sometimes forget what you have wrote :lol: . I mean those instructions :

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... =parma+ham

So Paul these are the right instructions for Parma ham right? I will use Cure#2 with this recipe. Thank you
:D
Fischer
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun May 11, 2008 11:10 am

Fischer

Those instructions are for the Parma Style Mix that Franco sells on the main site.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun May 11, 2008 11:53 am

Fischer>
The Parma Ham Style cure referred to in that thread - if its this one should contain everything you need. As far as I am aware there should be no need to add any further curing salts - in fact it could be dangerous if you do.

The instructions for its use are also on the product listing page.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Recipes for cured meats