Pepperoni Recipes, which one is the correct one?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Pepperoni Recipes, which one is the correct one?

Postby Krue » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:40 pm

I got below recipe of Pepperoni from the some site

Pork 2 lb
Smoke Oil 2 teaspoon
Black Pepper 2 teaspoon
Mustard Seed 2 teaspoon
Fennel Seed 2 teaspoon
Red Pepper 1 teaspoon
Garlic Powder 0.5 teaspoon
Paprika 1 teaspoon
Sugar 0.5 teaspoon
Salt 2 heaping teaspoon

Today, I checked out the Pepperoni Label of Hormel, their recipe seems very simple like below
Pork,
Beef,
Salt,
Dextrose,
Culture,
Sodium Nitrite

Why it is so different? so, I am totally confused.

Anyone can help understand the difference? or, probably no difference, as the first one probably not a type of Pepperoni.

Coz I was knowing nothing about Pepperoni ( I am living in a remote place of this planet), so, I made a so called Pepperoni according to the first version. now, I realise this probably is a cooked sausage, but, terrible flavor, none of my family member like it. but, you know, I don't want to accept the fact that I might have made a mistake there. so, someone in this forum, please, help clarify anything wrong with either of these two version?

I thank you very much for advise

Krue
Krue
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Krue

I don't know the answer but recipes do vary.

Have you tried the recipe, for the cooked Pepperoni, from Len Poli that I posted before:
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Pepperoni-cooked.pdf

His recipes are usually good.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Krue » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:19 pm

Phil, I tried many times to download the pdf file but failed, I also tried to open the formulation tab of Len Poli's website, same, can not open, but, works on other tabs except formulation and tips tab. no idea what's happening, the only factor I knew seems that I am located in China. so ......

I would appreciate, Phil, if I could have a good dry pepperoni recipe . it seems pepperoni is type of fast or intermediate fermented sausage according to USDA, and requires no cooking. I knew it was my mistake to follow the recipe someone present in some other website, the taste of that recipe is terrible, and cooked pepperoni is not what I am after for.

meanwhile, Phil, if I may get your comment on this: it seems commercial sausages are very firm, what I tried seems loose, looking into the photo of sausages by quite a few of the members in the forum(probably? I can not remember exactly though), they are loose too. why is so? is it because of the equipment which makes the difference? I hope not,but, is it because of the machine vs the hand made? not sure if you or any other professional can help understand this.

Phil, you are always helpful, I am very grateful !

With all of respects
Krue
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:39 pm

Krue

I have sent you a personal message.
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wittdog » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Here is a link to a thread on how I did my dry cured pep....
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... +pepparoni
hope it helps

I'm making more soon once it gets cool enough
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Wittdog

Your 'Swine a Roni' will be the next pepperoni I make - I wasn't at all happy with the cooked Len Poli version. I guess you just can't cut corners and so air dried is the way I'll go.

I'll need to make a few changes because of availability of some of the ingredients in the UK but, if the result's anything like as good as your Smoked Polish, I'm looking forward to it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Pepperoni Recipes, which one is the correct one?

Postby lemonD » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm

Krue wrote:Today, I checked out the Pepperoni Label of Hormel, their recipe seems very simple like below
Pork,
Beef,
Salt,
Dextrose,
Culture,
Sodium Nitrite

Why it is so different? so, I am totally confused.

I thank you very much for advise

Krue

Not much pepper in this PEPPERoni recipe :o

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:12 pm

wheels I've done both a cooked and a dry cured pep..and there is a big difference not only in texture but in flavor....the dry cured has that "twang" you just can't get with a cooked...

I'm looking forword to hearing about how your pep comes out...I think you will be very happy with it.
wittdog
Registered Member

Pepperoni

Postby Seminole » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Krue,

There are two styles of making pepperoni:

1. Traditional Italian slow-fermented dry sausage which is not smoked
2. American fast-fermented semi-dry sausage which is smoked and cooked. This is a cheap version of pepperoni sausage and is commonly used as pizza toppings and sold in a typical supermarket.

These two styles determine the manufacturing method which will be used. This process will affect the flavor and texture of the sausage and combination of spices is less important, especially in a case of a dry sausage. The semi-dry will always taste tangy and sour due to the method of production: fast pH drop (increasing meat acidity) to make the sausage microbiologically safe.

The real fermented sausage owes its flavor to the action of flavor and color forming bacteria and its flavor will be cheesy even if no spices were added at all. These bacteria work slowly and need a lot of time. They are given no chance to perform when a semi-dry sausage is made as the rapidly increasing acidity kills them. And if any of them were to survive, the following cooking process will kill them anyhow.

You may look at the following link:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes.htm
where you will find pepperoni recipe. You can find a lot of information on fermented sausages at: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/fermented-sausages.htm

I hope it helps.
Seminole
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats